The Superchips Flashpaq Tuner can help you remove factory limitations and change the performance of your late-model Ford, Dodge, or GM car or truck to meet your needs.  The manufacturer-specific tuners can boost horsepower over 100 in some applications and add over 200 foot-pounds of torque.

The tuner plugs into your late-model vehicle, allowing you to acquire various types of data to monitor vehicle performance — it’ll also read vehicle trouble codes.  You can update the unit via the internet.

Superchips, a major player in the vehicle performance industry, has been making these performance add-on chips for many years.  Their Flashpaq Tuners start at about $350.

Flashpaq Tuner [Superchips]
Street Pricing [Google]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

11 Responses to Superchips Flashpaq Tuner

1. DaleC says:

Put one on my 2007 Dodge truck -4/door w/hemi. I swapped in an airaid intake tube, and a flowmaster 50hd.
    It will now chirp the tires on the 2nd gear shift with the 20’s. Before, the shifts were too weak. It pulls much harder than stock also. I would definitely buy it again. I bought mine used and saved a ton.

2. DanS says:

My brother has something like this on his 09 Dodge Cummins. It can really burn. He got it from H&S preformance. (hs-proformance.com)

*Disclaimer* I don’t mean to beat my own drum, but I know people who work at H&S. Great guys.

3. Shopmonger says:

My old race car was lap top controlled and it had all sorts of variable programable on the fly……remmeber that OEM will ahve it programed to read sensors and be fuel efficient and no pass emission laws…..not always produce max HP/ TYourque or any other max,,, they make shifts smooth and as little noticible as possible. If you ever need any advice or ideas on this just e-mail me at Shopmonger@gmail.com

4. BC says:

The only thing you really have to keep in mind is transmission strength, especially when dealing with certain Chrysler models. I don’t think I’d tune any Chrysler with the 42RE or 44RE tranny.

5. Zathrus says:

So, uh, how about tuning it for something that’ll actually be worthwhile? Like fuel economy?

6. rg says:

I don’t mean to be the party-pooper here, but a few months ago a co-worker used one of these tuners to reprogram his new Dodge diesel truck. He was telling me all about it’s magical abilities, which he was sure seemed to be true (more power, better economy). I got interested in such a thing for my gasoline engine truck, because I certainly wanted better fuel economy, too. The websites I looked at made big claims for added power and economy, but were completely vague about it — all of them.

I would have even been willing to give it a try, were it not for the price they wanted for these “tuners”. They all seemed to cost several hundred dollars. That’s a pretty big gamble to take on their highly non-specific claims. And how would I know it wouldn’t harm my engine? Do they get better “economy” by leaning out the fuel mixture until it burns my valves and pistons? They don’t say, but I’m the guy who’d be left holding the bag.

The other thing that occurred to me is that it doesn’t make sense that the sellers of these tuners have a better idea than the teams of highly-paid professional engineers that work for vehicle manufacturers. Why would Ford, GM, or Chrysler not give their customers better economy or power if there was no cost to reliability? Wouldn’t that be a competitive edge if it were that simple?

A few weeks ago, my co-worker’s transmission failed in a catastrophic manner, in the middle of nowhere, of course. Lucky for him, it was replaced under warranty. Did his diddling around with his tuner contribute to this? Who can say? I’m not saying these tuners are a rip off. Maybe they do what they claim? But for several hundred dollars, it’s not an experiment I’m willing to perform. And for that price, I can buy a lot of gas. Besides, to honest, if were really that worried about fuel economy, I’d have bought a Honda Civic, instead of a truck. I guess we all want something for nothing, and there are any number of people ready to take our money, so long as we are willing to suspend our disbelief. Just my thoughts on this.

7. Zathrus says:

@rg:

Oh, I agree, TANSTAAFL.

But I’d be willing to trade power for fuel economy. When it comes to engine design there’s three main elements — cost, fuel economy, and power. Pick any two. For the past few decades the car manufacturers have been predominantly going after cost and power. I really don’t need 200 hp in a sedan that is mostly in stop-and-go traffic.

That said, even so I doubt you’d get much more than a couple percent of trade off in either direction, since a lot of the decisions are taken out in the design process (of the engine, tranny, exhaust, etc).

8. roadrashrick says:

I am not commenting on a second hand experience, I have a 2004 silverado 5.3 4×4 and tried to install a super chips flash pack. after up dateing this and down loading that and 3hrs on the phone with a tec, pulling 10 different fuses and trying different stuff. the programer and my truck will not talk to each other i returned the programer to the place of purches after many phone calls got a refund. and then my gas millage takes a nose dive to 10 to 12mpg. i took the truck to the dealer and they checked it out. no codes but they were unable to access the ECM to check it. the dealer told me that there was a after market program installed on the ECM(super chips)and they were unable to clear the program, i hand to replace the ECM at a cost of $700. has any one had any problems simular?

9. Tommy says:

I have the superchips flashpaq, now programmed “performance” on my 05 dodge cummins. It seems to give me the same, if not better economy as the stock or economy setting, so I just leave it there. However, I am about to take a long trip, Denver to Atlanta. Should I change the program?

10. kyle says:

Start the trip where it normally is, see what happens. If it works go with it. If you notice that you are sucking down fuel change the settings

• Tommy says:

Thanks, Kyle. But i was kinda concerned about any possible damage due to the long hours, and constant highway speeds. The pickup will be loaded with a large ATV, plus miscellenous smaller items, since I’m moving, but no towing.Any more input?