You’re hundreds of feet above the ground or miles deep into a cave and you need to drill a hole in solid rock for an anchor — what are you going to use?  Petzl made the RocPec SDS drill holder for just these situations.

The RocPec accepts standard SDS drill bits so you can drill holes of varying diameter, but Petzl recommends a 10 or 12mm bit.  You can easily change bits without tools by pulling the driver’s handle apart and sliding the bit into the chuck.

The drill holder itself is $65 and includes a leash.  The Petzl SDS bits are about $50, but you should be able to find another brand cheaper.

Drill Holder [Petzl]
Street Pricing [Google]

11 Responses to Rock Climber’s Hand Drill

1. blitzcat says:

Looks like a chisel. This works how? Magic fuel cell?

If this is hand powered, I’d gladly drop $65 large for the most efficient bit possible while I hang on for life with my other hand.

2. cheerIO says:

I think that it may be like a manual impact wrench. You smack the end with a hammer and the bit turns a quarter or half a turn at a time.

3. Pete says:

You need two hands, this tool (with a masonry bit) and a hammer. Then: whack, 1/4-turn, whack, 1/4-turn, repeat many times. Expensive little bugger isn’t it?

4. eric says:

Solar-powered li-ion hammer drill anyone????

5. fred says:

Or maybe a $8 Dasco Star Drill would work on most rock

6. Shopmonger says:

Wait …….hold the presses… what about the pheumatic bolt shooter from “Cliffhanger” If Sly stallone uses it….I want it….

7. Jerry says:

I can’t believe nobody has made a comment on the name of this thing – not the polite name used by the author but the name on the side of the “tool”. Sorry guys (and gals) but someone had to point it out.

8. @Jerry:

I saw both Rocpec and Rockpecker being used interchangeable all over the net. I used RocPec because that’s the name Petzl used on their website and assumed that’s what they wanted it called.

You know I cropped and resized the image and didn’t even notice that the Drill said “Rockpecker” on the side.

Having been with a company when it was doing a trademark search for a new product line I know firsthand that most of the good names are already trademarked so I can’t blame Petzl for choosing Rocpecker if it wasn’t already taken. I think it’s a rather good name and most of us are mature enough not to laugh at it — well maybe a little chuckle is OK.

9. Abe says:

@Benjamen Johnson

“most of us are mature enough not to laugh at it”

Nope: RocPecker….HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!

10. shopmonger says:

Yeah I must agree ROCPECKER haa haa haa haa haa haa haa haaa

11. not2close says:

Ge Wizz the hammer and the bit and the bit holder would weigh the same as a battery powered hammer drill