If you’re looking for a tool to save your marriage and/or your mind, this may be it. Have you ever been in the situation where you’re trying to line up your hitch with a trailer that’s too small to see in your mirrors?   If you don’t have a person who can back you up, you’ll end up jumping out of the cab a couple of times (at least) to get it right — unless you’ve got the Reese Solo Hitch.

One of those “why didn’t I think of that” ideas, the Reese Solo Hitch consists of two extendable rods — think heavy-duty retractable radio antennae — with a magnet on one end and a tennis ball on the other. Attach one rod to the trailer and the other one next to the ball on the hitch. Then just back up, line up the tennis balls, and you’re on the money.

The Reese Solo Hitch’ll run you about $19.  If you have a few scrap parts you couple probably build a set, but for that price it might be better to just buy it.

Reese [Corporate Site]
Street Pricing [Google]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

10 Responses to Reese Solo Hitch

1. BJN says:

I use a similar tool named Hitchin Rods:

The antenna design is nice and small. I’m betting the fiberglass rods are more durable but they’re longer and cost me a few bucks more. The way I use the rods is to put one rod on top of the hitch ball and the other on the trailer’s hitch latch. I line up the rods as I back up and stop when the trailer tongue knocks over the one on the ball. The same technique would work with the Reese/Valley tennis ball design and the photo is deceptive. You can’t see the tennis balls touching from the driver’s seat and if you knock over the wand you’ve overshot the alignment.

2. Barri says:

Lol i tried these and they would be great if you could drop your tailgate to see them. The problem then is your tailgate is in the way of the jockey wheel. They really are only any good for cars. I now got a reverse cam that comes up in my nav screen and has guides lines so that you dont jackknife the trailer when reverseing and a ceneter line to line it up perfect for hooking up.

3. BigEdJr says:

I saw these at Harbor Freight, but as said above, they look too short to be any help at all.

4. Jerry says:

Harbor Freight $8.99 and they extend to 43″! Geez – how long do you people need these things to be? You must have a huge truck if 43″ isn’t long enough.

5. Geoff K. says:

It looks like the antennae in the picture could extend a lot more, they’re likely just kept short to fit well in the image. If they extend to 48″ then either the truck and trailer in the shot are ENORMOUS or they’re just not extended…

6. Mitch says:

Those are photoshopped!

7. McAngryPants says:

Folks, the Harbor Freight ones telescope UP! UP UP so that I can see over my tailgate. I LOVE these things (me=Tacoma pickup & utility trailer)

8. BigEdJr says:

OK, thanks for the clarifications. Sounds like they are long enough!

9. Alan Braggins says:

> “why didn’t I think of that”

Actually I did think of that (with possible complications, like a pair of rods on one of the mounts on springs that splay apart as the hitch aligns), but I didn’t get around to building them, so it’s good to see they really exist.

10. HollywoodBob says:

If the trailer is too small to see, is it really so heavy that you can’t just pick up the tongue and drop it onto the hitch?

I do that at work all the time and it’s a 16×6 flatbed.