Craftsman’s ratcheting bit wrench’ll help you get into a tight squeeze without losing your knuckles — it’s one of those tools that you’ll regret not having when you need it.  The last time I used  mine was for a job that required me to remove screws under the dash, a real knuckle-breaker for sure.

These little reversible gems come in a straight, offset, and reverse-offset to wiggle into all those tight places.  They all come with four 1/4″ bits — two Phillips and two standard — and they’ll also accept any other 1/4″ bits you may have lying around.  Just remember, these won’t hack a real high-torque fastening or loosening job, but they’ll work great for all other close-quarter jobs.

You can buy ’em individually or as a three-piece set that sells for about $20.

Bit Wrenches [Sears]
Street Pricing [Google]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

9 Responses to Craftsman Ratcheting Bit Wrenches

1. Harry says:

The problem with the Craftsman versions is that they aren’t fine toothed. They only have like 36 teeth. What you need is either the newer Kastar (who make the Craftsman set) version with 72 teeh or the Gearwrench or Husky bit wrench set both having 72 teeh for tight spaces. An additional advantage offered by both the Gearwrench and Husky sets is a 1/4 square drive bit is included (along with other assorted screwdriver bits) allowing to attach sockets making one of the smallest ratchets available. Skip the Craftsman set. There are better options out there.

2. Shopmonger says:

I would agree the finer the tooth the better……..
    When using something like this though…..are yu using it for ratcheting or for the torque…..if it is for the tourque…. then the coarser tooth driver may be able to withstand more force…..depending on depth of tooth

3. Kris says:

@Harry – Do you have a source for the 72 tooth ratchet you mentioned? I found this http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053&productId=100041241 on HD site, but it doesn’t mention whether it’s a coarse or fine tooth ratchet……

4. Old Donn says:

I’d like to debate the pros & cons of these tools, but despite having them more than a year, I’ve yet to use them.

5. Harry says:

The link from Homee Depot is the one I’m talking about. It has a fine 72 tooth action just like gearwrenches. As for the fat fewer teeth is stronger than fine thin teeth, I agree with you for the most part. However, we’re only talking about a handle that is a few inches long. You’re not going to gerenate massive amounts of torque with your wrist. I use mine almost daily on trim pieces and it’s fairly strong as I have used it to loosen torx head bolts holding the shift cable bracket on GM transmissions. Fine or coarse tooth actions are like most tool opinions, a matter of personal preference based on what works for you.

6. Terry says:

Is this the gearwrench tool people are speaking of?

I think I’d rather have an adapter that would fit into one of my ratcheting box wrenches rather than a separate tool.

7. Ted M says:

I really wanted to like mine, but the ratchet lever part keeps popping out when I turn it causing it to freewheel. Maybe others have had better luck, but mine is a worthless piece of junk.

8. fuzzmanmatt says:

I use a tool like this every day at work, putting in batteries. I agree with Ted, it sucks because it keeps popping out of alignment and causing freewheeling.

9. kyle says:

few years ago I saw a gearwrench set that came with a 1/2″ gearwrenc a bunch of insert bit and an adapter that allowed the insert bits to be put in the gearwrench has any one used this or know where I can get it