The makers of the Right Brush ergonomic paintbrush claim their product can eliminate most painter’s aches and pains. They designed the strange-shaped handle to fit comfortably in your hand, giving you more control and ease while painting.

The brush is constructed with push-chisel polyester/nylon filaments wrapped in a double-walled stainless steel ferrule. A hanging hook molded into the side of the polypropylene handle keeps the brush clean when you need to put it down.

The brush is only available in 2-1/2″ angle cut. Although they claim you can find the Right Brush in most hardware stores and paint outlets, we could find only one place that sold it online. There you’ll pay $20 for a single brush.

The Right Brush [Corporate Site]
The Right Brush [The Wright Stuff]

Tagged with:

10 Responses to Paint With The Right Brush

1. David Bryan says:

Mr. Miyagi says this thing sucks.

2. _Jon says:

I just finished painting an entire 1600 sq ft home and I relied upon a pair of 2″ ‘stubbie’ brushes from Sherwin Williams. They have almost no handle to speak of, so I was able to “palm” the brush when I needed to. That made a huge difference in comfort because I could switch grips easily. Both Lowes and Home Depot sell a similar “short handled” brush, but neither are the same as this brush and neither is even close to the same quality (include the Purdy). A couple other points make the Sherwin Williams a must have:
    – less weight; by having almost no handle, all the weight is in the bristles and paint. Your fingertips hold it up, instead of your index finger having to balance it.
    – tapered AND angled. A lot of trim brushes are angled (sash). But this SW brush is also tapered so that the leading edge of the width of the brush has a more narrow
    I was literally bending over backwards to do the bottom edge of the crown molding and this brush put the paint exactly right.

I recommend two other pieces of equipment to make life easier:
    – Rubber Gloves. As Tool Monger has mentioned before, Nitrile gloves are a required item for a lot of jobs. But I learned that when I wear these gloves when painting, I do not grip the brush as hard. That relaxed grip allowed me to do a better job painting but also reduced hand fatigue.
    – Painter’s Trim Cup with an internal magnet. There are a few different models, but if you use one with a magnet, you can put the brush in there when you would normally put it down. It keeps the brush clean and the area around it. One complaint about the above picture is it shows a clean brush outside a clean can. I rarely carry an entire paint can around – they get heavy – and after a brush has been dipped one time, it has paint in it. Hanging it down (as pictured) will result in dripping paint. I don’t agree with that design at all.

Finally, this awesome brush from Sherwin Williams that I brag about costs $6. So you can buy all of the stuff I suggested – two brushes, box of gloves, and a trim cup for the price of one of those brushes.
    (I recommend two brushes so you can switch colors if you are doing trim a different color than doors or if you are using it for cut-in, then want to go to trim.)

3. JAY says:

I cut the handles off of the brushes.

4. asbestos says:

Purdy is part of S-W now, so I’ve been told
    I have a few Corona brushes including a stubbie, I use the stubby 4 times as much as the others. A lot goes into making a good brush and if you think about it a really good brush might cost you $30 (my stubbie was less then $20) so if for another 12 bucks I can get a really top of the line tool, I’m all over it. If you wash them out well, and hang them up, they last for years.

5. Brau says:

In a word, no. If this was a great idea it would have been done eons ago by master craftsmen and painters. No handle is better than a bent one that will get in the way when trying to cut accurately into deep corners. It’s just another marketing gimmick.

6. duck4preesident says:

Uglyest paint brush I ever saw.

7. Joe says:

Painting, although it looks simple & easy, isn’t. Actually, it is simple, it takes practice, concentration, and patience. There are some little tricks, e.g., stubby brushes, whether you make ’em yourself or not, but all the gimmicks in the world won’t make you a better painter.

Pro painters make money by doing a good job quickly and moving on to the next paying gig. Anything that would help them do that would be in their kit. The guys I work around use good brushes, rollers, and skill.

8. Mezsop says:

Actually this brush in my experience does what it says. Because the brush rests in your hand you are not gripping the brush with your thumb and fingers near the ferrule or holding a long narrow handle. You are using the stronger muscles of your arms rather than wrist muscles to move the brush. I painted my hallway for 6 hours without getting tired. And I loved the hanging hook too.

Also it is a new product so it is just getting out into the marketplace. It is in a number of hardware stores in Rhode Island and Massachusetts as well as at least six online retailers including Amazon. A friend recommended it and I would do so to anyone willing to try something new. I got mine for @$12 at a hardware store.

9. mark says:

Your blog was brought to my attention and as the inventor of the Right Brush I would like to say to those who find it difficult to accept the proof is in the using.
    Naturally it is not easy to go from what one has been used to for many years to another product even if it is better. To Joe and Mezsop, you are right on.
    To Brau and whoever else has an imagination for invention. Go for it. The Right Brush was born out of a broken standard brush. Necessity is the mother of invention. Better products, even as simple as paintbrushs are needed and it is the people who are using them that are the inventors of tomorrow.
    thanks, ToolMonger. I wish you the best success.