If you’re tired of changing the bit between drilling the pilot hole and driving the fastener, you can avoid all that bit-swapping with the Jack Rabbit Deluxe Set.  I’ve wanted to check this out ever since I saw Norm using it on the New Yankee Workshop.  Sure, you could just use an extra drill or two, but some of us are limited on space and don’t like the clutter.

After installing the all-in-one bit, drill your pilot hole and countersink — then just pull off the drill bit portion to reveal the driver. The pilot bit depth is adjustable, and the set includes four popular sizes.

The Jack Rabbit Deluxe Set sells for about $50.

Jack Rabbit Deluxe Set [Griffin Tec]
Street Pricing [Google]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

7 Responses to Jack Rabbit Deluxe Set

1. Chaim says:

Does not look very practical…you still have to put the drill bit down somewhere while you pick up the screw–I prefer the design that is two headed where you just switch them around.

2. fred says:

I’m always looking for practical tools that improve productivity of my crews. But on this one I’m with Chaim that this doesn’t appear to be any better than other options. We like Bosch and Milwaukee quick change chucks, that we leave in place (chucked) in many of our drills. We then can swap in driver bits and hex-shank drill bits just as quickly or conveniently / inconveniently as this Jack rabbit tool. If we are doing a lot of back and forth – we dedicate cordless impact drivers to driving and cordless drill to drilling – changing the tool not the bit.

3. PutnamEco says:

I have a similar set that gets used very rarely. I prefer instead to go the dedicated tool route also. But they do work, chucked in an impact driver, for some of that annoying punch list type of stuff, when you don’t want to be dragging multiple tools around, or for when your working off ladders, and don’t want to be weighed down with a couple of drills hanging from you belt.

4. Eric Hart says:

I loved this when I got a chance to use one, and it’s been on my wishlist for awhile, though not at the top. I have a quick-change drill, but one of these would really make things convenient; you can change between drill and driver faster than with the quick-change chuck. It’s also nice to have one attachment for piloting and driving screws, rather than going through my collection of drill bits for one that’s the right size, scrounging up a countersink, and grabbing a screw bit.
    $50 does seem a bit much though. The Cabinet Maker Set is a little more economical at about $35.

5. Fabian says:

Cough… Rip off.. Cough…

F.

6. Jim says:

I have used the Jack rabbit since I bought one from the original designer at a woodworking show years ago. That was before Norm stated using them. It is a great tool that I use whenever installing screws.

7. John says:

I have one of those Wera ejecting hex adaptors for this kind of thing.

I don’t really buy into the idea of it being super advanced, but it does spin true and it does eject properly.

I can then be found up a ladder, holding battens or insulation with one hand, a drill bit in a my mouth and the screw bits in the adaptor. I’ve managed to get it down so well that I can change the bits with one hand, whilst still holding the drill.

The only problem with doing that is finding good quality bits with a hex on the end. The set I got with another adaptor are not good at all, the bit’s are heat shrunk onto the hex shanks, and I can spin the shank with the bit binding in something, or they’re off centre.

Another annoyance, the cheapo chuck used to actually LOCK the bits when I tried to eject them.

I’d love some really nice hex shank drill bits.

The Wera stuff is a bit pricey, but nice.

I have a set of their exchangeable blade VDE screwdrivers, the ones that come in a wallet. I was expecting the locking mechanism on the blades to be terrible, but it’s actually really good. I do only use them on electrics though, since they cost so much. It’s the dirt cheap £1 for a set ones when it comes to the brute force approach.