Makita’s compact driver set includes a two-speed drill driver, an impact driver, two lithium-ion batteries, and a 50-minute charger, all packed in a hard case.  The impact driver can deliver 800 inch-pounds of torque at up to 3,000 impacts per minute, and the two-speed drill driver spins up to 350 RPM at the lower speed setting and up to 1,300 RPM on the higher speed setting.

I tried these out at my local Home Depot with good results. The coolest thing:  After you release the trigger on these, the built-in LED stays on for a few more seconds.

I’d just picked up the Bosch PS-20 and PS-40 set, but if I’d known about this deal I would’ve held out. Performance on both units seemed comparable to the Bosch units, but after about five minutes the HD folks started giving me weird looks, so I had to stop in the middle of my long-term endurance testing.

They were priced at $129 in the Ohio Home Depots — average street pricing is around $155.

LCT203W [Makita]
Street Pricing [Google]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

11 Responses to Makita LCT203W Compact Driver Set

1. BigEdJr says:

I got these for Christmas and I love them! They replaced a cheap Black and Decker drill that went bad.

I read so many reviews from people who swore by using the impact driver to drive screws etc. I had no idea what difference it would make. It is great.

If you are in the market I would definitely recommend them.

2. Greg A. says:

Another coach I work with just bought these to keep in our team trailer and they are awesome. I wish they’d come down some in price but they are pretty sweet for the job.

3. SirFatty says:

Rigid has a similar, except with a chuck. And lifetime battery replacement. For $100.

4. Zathrus says:

JLC just did a shoot-out of small drivers:

They liked the Hitachi and the Makita the most. The Rigid’s chuck caused it to be too big to fit in some places, but it did have the longest runtime.

Note that Rigid’s battery replacement policy appears to be a joke. A number of people have had issues actually getting them to replace dead (or nearly dead) batteries. Unless you have a Rigid authorized warranty center nearby then it’s probably not worth counting on it.

5. Marit says:

The LED delayed-off has been standard on Makitas for a couple years now. But yes, it is awesome.

6. paganwonder says:

These tools are worth their price.

7. jim says:

I’ve been using the 18V LXT series for a long time now – absolutely great! The impact driver isn’t intended as a drill, but I often snap in a small chuck or a spade bit with a hex shank & get the job done (as long as I don’t push too hard, it won’t start to impact). The only time I use the bigger LXT drill is when I have a really big drill bit, or if it’s late and I don’t want to bother the neighbors with the sound of impacts as I drive screws.

8. fred says:

1. I purchased 2 of the new Milwaukee Hackzalls last November, along with 2 of the new Milwaukee 2401-20 12 volt compact drivers. As part of a Milwaukee promotion – we then got 2 of their 2450-20 impact drivers (sans battery). My guys like them all. We have been using the Hackzall to cut fiberglass sheet (with Milwaukee’s 49-00-5400 blade – designed for the Hackzall).
    We bought some extra batteries (Home Depot had them for $39 each) and 1 of the 4 that we purchased failed to charge correctly. We naturally returned it for a swap. One peeve that I’ve heard is that the plastic case that came with the saw is way too big – and fairly useless for storing anything else. The 2 drivers we bought came with nylon cases that suit their compact size – and hold more to boot. We’ve been using them long enough now to know that we still like our older Makita 12 volt impact drivers at least as well if not better.

9. Flatthead54 says:

SirFatty, Just saw a new one with a keyless chuck. Same as the hex version, but with a keyless chuck. Wish I got this one instead, but it just came out. It’s still a great tool.

10. jose says:

Great tool i use both the drill and impact drill worth their weight and price

11. ferndog says:

Can I use different batteries with the makita lct203w with any other batteries? Higher volt batteries?