A few weeks ago we posted stubby spade bits, but today we noticed that Greenlee has announced a line of stubby auger bits.  One big difference between the two types of bits is that auger bits tend to leave much cleaner holes with less tear-out than spade bits.  The trade-off:  Auger bits also tend to cost more.

Greenlee will be making these bits in 5/8″, 3/4″, 7/8″, and 1″ sizes.  They designed the bits with a 1/4″ hex shank to work with their new Quick Connect Extensions, although they recommend not using any bit larger than 3/4″ with the extension.

This bit has an over-center single-flute design.  The self-feeding screw point draws the bit into the unique cutting edge rather than you having to push the bit into the wood — this allows you to use the bit longer with less fatigue.  As with most large bits you don’t want to be boring anywhere near nails, not unless you want to damage an expensive bit or wrench your arms.

There’s no word on pricing yet.

Stubby Augers(PDF) [Greenlee]

Tagged with:

7 Responses to Preview: Greenlee Stubby Augers

1. crash says:

Harbor Freight already sells a pretty decent set of Stubby Auger bits, I bought some for a project back in November and was pleased with them. I think the set was about $10 or so.

2. David Bryan says:

That Greenlee name sure doesn’t mean what it used to. It still goes on some good stuff, but I don’t think it’s worth paying much of a premium for any more.

3. Gary says:

Maybe not, but I really like the old Greenlee firmer chisels I have.

4. fred says:

The same can be siad for old Buck Brothers firmer gouges and chisels.
    Now the Buck Brother’s name is put on some low-end junk.

5. Big Willy says:

is it true that the Greenlee product line is no longer available at Home Depot

6. fritz gorbach says:

I also have a set of the HF stubby auger bits. I have used them twice to drill holes in pressure treated framing members, and I have been happy so far. Ihaven’t used them enough to report on their durability, which is sometimes an issue I have with their products, and they don’t cut as well as my milwaukee augers, but for under ten bucks, you can’t have it all.

7. Adam R. says:

Big Willy – I saw some of the Greenlee stuff at HD this weekend. I do see more of the knockoff tools in the same type of packaging filling the gaps. There was a Greenlee starter kit, a couple of pliers, a tool belt, and a screw driver if I remember right and there was the knockoff, looked the same if you took a quick glance and just grabbed one.

Seems a little shady to me.