This past summer I was hanging poultry wire for some poultry stables, and if I’d had the ThumbSaver I could’ve saved my thumb some pain and lowered my stress level by about 200 percent.  This is one of those products you look at and say, “I could’ve made that.”

A small groove with a magnet in it holds the fastener so you can hammer away, while keeping your thumb out of harm’s way. FW Tools currently packages a standard and a mini size ThumbSaver together for about $20.

ThumbSaver [FW Tools]
Street Pricing [Google]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

10 Responses to Never Hit Your Thumbs Again

1. Cyrano says:

That’s nice, but $20 is pretty steep for a magnet on a stick =/

I usually use a long nose in a pinch.

2. Geoff K. says:

But then you might hit your nose… ;*X

3. BigEdJr says:

That one made me laugh.

4. dlone says:

Extra credit for Geoff.

5. fred says:

Here is a tool for fence and poultry staples:

6. JT says:

Needlenose pliers work great for this. I can’t see buying this tool, even though it’s a good idea. It’s just one more thing to carry around in the nailbags. But I agree w/ Cyrano. I could glue a magnet to a stick for much cheaper…

7. Fred and JT- thanks for the poultry staple tips, I will give them try next year since we are getting more birds. I think I had more poultry staples in the yard that in the fence!

8. Joe says:

I’m not going to say what I’m thinking. I’m trying really hard to do better.

9. Ray says:

When I was a little kid, an old trim carpenter taught me to never to hold a nail between my thumb and index finger. rather hold the nail between your index and middle fingers with you palm facing up. This makes it easier to to start small nails w/out hitting you hand, and if you do it is much less painful. I have always held nails this way ever since. This technique works very well with fencing staples.

10. kyle says:

I would put a magnet on a piece of steel long before i buy this and i would use nedle nose pliers before that so to me this is of no use but it is a good idea