Snap-on’s new specialty funnel, for certain Honda, Acura, Nissan, Dodge Cummins, and Ford Diesel vehicles, features threads so you can screw it into the oil filler inlet.   They advertise the funnel as one you “fill with oil and walk away from” — if you’re willing to pay through the nose for it.

The Snap-on funnel sells for $30, so you’d need to perform quite a few oil changes to make this one pay for itself.  As a shadetree mechanic I can just wait the 30 seconds.

Threaded Oil Filler (PDF) [Snap-on]

8 Responses to Snap-on Funnel

1. I change my oil for both our vehicles and use a long narrow funnel for filling the oil. I haven’t had a problem yet, but I can foresee the day I balance the bottle of oil on top to get the last bit out, it falls, and oil drips everywhere.

$30? Come on… I’ll waiting for the Blue Point in Chevy and Chrysler for $10.

2. Ben76 says:

That might be a good project, I bet it wouldn’t be too hard to find a metal or plastic container with the right size threads. Cut off the bottom and then marry that to an old funnel or another section of milk jug or whatever…

I think the threads on the cans of PVC glue might be about right. Just make sure you clean it real good first 😉

3. BrassHat says:

Replacement oil cap ($8) + generic funnel ($3) + spade bit in your tool box (free). Drill for friction fit and pour away.

4. Joe says:

I used to work with a guy who was a Snap-on nut. He had to have everything (and he had the debt to go with it).

I can see it now, he’ll have a special Snap-on cabinet with a dedicated funnel for each of the cars that he (may ever) works on.

5. Dave P says:

Am I the only guy who flips the whole bottle over into the spout, pops the bottom with my knife, and walks off? Funnels are for beer.

6. Shopmonger says:

Dave: true that….
    I have always doen this… very fast and you can walk away all you want…..

$30 is more than the oil change even with the best filter and oil…

7. Coach James says:

I also use the “Dave method” when changing oil. I have funnels but they are made from 20oz and 2 Liter drink bottles. Rinse the bottle, remove the label, cut off top and instant funnel.

8. Joey says:

You can also cut off the top of an empty quart oil bottle, and use that as a funnel. I don’t bother cutting an air hole in the bottom of the bottle, in part because a little oil can leak out when you set it down. While one bottle is draining, I use the time to dump the old oil and clean up.

I believe this Snap-on funnel is available under a number of different brands, but it’s still expensive and not worth it unless oil changes are your business.