If you’re not a professional transmission shop and don’t have the money for a full-time transmission jack, you might appreciate this more economical solution, Harbor Freight’s Transmission Adapter.  The adapter is meant to work with a Harbor Freight jack with a 1-1/4″ saddle, but mine fit on my Craftsman two-and-a-half-ton floor jack — and no parallel universes opened when the two tools met.

The adapter provides 60-degree-forward and 10-degree-reverse tilt, and its “feet” slide to accommodate your transmission sides.  It comes with a single safety chain that you tighten with a screw hook. There are additional openings to add more ratchet straps or chains if you want — I use two straps with my transmission since it’s v-shaped on the bottom.

A note about any transmission jacks of this type:  Unless you can get your vehicle at least three feet in the air it won’t clear the jack and adapter — you’ll need to do your service with the jack lowered under the vehicle.

The Harbor Freight transmission adapter normally sells for $43, and they often put it on sale.

Transmission Adapter [Harbor Freight]

6 Responses to Harbor Freight Transmission Adapter

1. PeterP says:

I helped change the clutch on a friends Mustang, and I would have killed for one of these. The T56 is a heavy transmission!

2. Slim Pickens says:

I can concur with the height issue! I can’t think of a way to get a car high enough in the air to use this without a lift, if you have a lift you probably have the means to have a trans jack. I bought one and turned it in for scrap without ever using it, save up a little more and get HF el-cheapo trans jack it will serve you better!!

3. Shopmonger says:

I agree the trans jack is a better solution, but in a snap these work great.
    the hight is not that big of an issue if you use the larger tripod style car stands….

4. Coach James says:

Do “larger tripod style car stands….”=jack stands?

5. Fernando says:

Went to HB in Pico Rivera CA YOUR people knew nothing about this item said I was probably look at a different web site the only carry what’s on the floor I think they should be a little more caring and at least try to help.

6. David says:

In response to Fernando’s above May 20, 2019 comment:

Fernando, you have to realize that all of the comments about this Harbor Freight item were from 10 YEARS before you went to the store to purchase one!!

No doubt that Harbor Freight no longer sells this item and probably stopped selling it MANY years ago!