No matter how carefully you mask off an area, sometimes a little paint will still bleed under the tape and leave a less-than-crisp edge.  Shuretape Technologies claims that if you use their Frog Tape instead of other masking tapes you’ll get crisp, clean lines every time.

Shuretape’s PaintBlock technology creates a barrier at the edge of the tape which prevents water-based paint from bleeding underneath.  The technology behind PaintBlock, while new to the painting industry, has been used in products such as diapers and other hygiene products for years.  The sodium-based super-absorbent polymer, or SAP for short, absorbs many times its weight in water, so it can keep diapers dry and also keep latex paint in line.

This medium-adhesion tape, suitable for many different surfaces from smooth to lightly textured, will release cleanly for 21 days.  A roll of Frog Tape comes in its own resealable container to keep the edges of the tape undamaged, clean, and ready to use.

You’re looking at $6, $9, or $12 for 60 yards of Frog Tape depending on whether you get 1″, 1-1/2″, or 2″ wide tape.

Frog Tape [Corporate Site]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

Tagged with:

12 Responses to Frog Tape: Diaper Technology Comes To Painting

1. Dan says:

I used it once to mask off some spokes on a set of wheels. No harder to cut and lay down for masking than the blue stuff, and it works as advertised. Bought it at Home Depot.

2. Matt K says:

My wife and I just bought a house and have painted each room over the last few months using every masking tape you can think of. Although pretty expensive, Frog tape is definitely at the top of the list. Performed as advertised, and gave me much better results than the blue stuff. Also, we get kind of lazy after all those hours of painting, so the clean release days (and even weeks) later is worth the price!

3. Scott says:

Frog tape is excellent with wood/glass/primed drywall. Painting wood trim leaves a perfectly clean line. I have also used it with wood glue (chair leg) and it kept the excess glue from drying on the wood edge. FIY – I did use it once on new unprimed drywall – it unfortunately pulled the paper coating from the drywall off when I went to remove it.

4. Kurt says:

He is an old shipmodel trick you might find handy someday. After masking a recently applied color, shoot a light coat of the same color over the tape. Any bleed will not be noticed. After that dries, shoot the next color.

Sometimes I will seal the tape with a coat of clear, when masking a stripe, for example.

5. Michael W. says:

Works well, just make sure the tape stays sealed in the package when not in use, it doesn’t seem to work as well if you don’t.

6. cb says:

anyone have success with this stuff on textured drywall?

kurt, i’ve used that trick before with great success. i’m curious about frog tape though.

7. txinkman says:

I’ve used it on several of my projects and I’m a huge fan. Since I work with thin, water based dyes a lot (not to mention that I’m a notorious klutz) I use it to mask off areas that I want to treat differently. I burnish the edges down really well, and even on heavily grained oak it stops the color from wicking under the tape to where I don’t want it.
    Highly recommended.

8. Captain Obvious says:

How come you people don’t do the “Remove the Bleed-Gaps” trick?

Put on a cotton glove, rub down the tape with the cotton glove, while you’re putting it down
    ( if you do it after, you might end up with the tape creeping a bit, making a bubble/bunching further along, if it’s cheap tape ),
    and you’ve just eradicated the gaps into which paint sneaks.

Simple, works with ANY masking tape, no special products involved…

9. Cyn Casey says:

You can’t buy it at Home Depot anymore(canceled selling agreement or something) but good news everyone you can now buy it at Lowes! This is just the best stuff I will never go back to the “BlueStuff” again. Just painted the entire upstairs!

10. bob says:

Tape is to keep drips off of the protected surface, cut by hand, with practice it saves time.

11. Lisa says:

Worst mistake I made was purchasing Frog Tape for my ceiling. After 30 minutes, it removed the sheetrock tape, ceiling paint, and primer. My ceiling is ruined.

Less than 2 years ago, I used blue tape without any negative effects.

12. David Winialski says:

I used this VERY EXPENSIVE product and am VERY UNHAPPY. While it did prevent paint from seeping under the edge, when I peeled it off, it ruined the finish of my kitchen cabinet. I suggest you NOT USE this and instead take a little extra effrt to cut-in by hand. I now have to replace a cabinet because this tape took the finish off the cabinet I was trying to protect.