Evolv tools has put a new twist on speeder wrenches.  In its standard configuration you can twist the handle to turn the socket — but you can also pull the handle out to convert this ratchet into a high-speed cranking machine.

The wrench probably won’t handle most of the extreme tightening or loosening jobs, but it’ll handle the repetitive tasks with ease. The ratchet’s operation allows you to work in areas with a limited degree of sweep, which can be a problem for ordinary ratchets.

Sold at Sears, Evolv tools come with a lifetime warranty as long as you have the receipt.  Hopefully this’ll come out in the Craftsman line as well.

Street pricing starts at about $30.

3/8” Speeder [Evolv]
Street Pricing [Google]

13 Responses to Super-Speedy Speeder Wrench

1. Jerry says:

“Evolv tools come with a lifetime warranty as long as you have the receipt.”
    The question has to be, “Do you even have receipts for tools you bought a couple of months ago?” Most likely not unless they were expensive power tools. A receipt for a $30 wrench? Not likely after a couple of months. Craftsman tools used to come with a lifetime guarantee with “no strings attached.” If it broke (or even bent) take it to any Sears store and get a new one, no questions asked – no receipt needed.

2. Zathrus says:

Even if you do keep receipts (and some of us do!), you have to be sure to keep it out of the sun or any other source of UV light; otherwise the ink will fade in just a couple weeks.

Really, requiring the receipt is just a way of saying “we know you won’t have it when it breaks”.

3. Patrick says:

Anyone figure out why they are green? I saw this at the local store and wondered how in the heck a simple wrench set qualifies as eco-friendly, even if the packaging is recycled cardboard. Less metal used or something?

4. Forget about UV light, my receipts from Costco are unreadable after a few months in a dark drawer. I’m not sure what thermal paper they’re using but you’d better hope Sears doesn’t use the same paper.

5. Kevin says:

@Jerry

Craftsman Hand Tools still retain the no strings attached lifetime warranty. You can still exchange them at any time without a receipt.

However, as was stated in the post and as you can tell from the picture, this is not a Craftsman tool. It’s brand name is evolv. It’s the new Sears bargain brand that is replacing Companion. Part of the separation between the bargain brand and Craftsman is you do need a receipt of purchase to exchange evolv tools. You do not with Craftsman. That’s part of the way that Sears promotes their better line of tools over the bargain ones.

And, since you mentioned it, the manufacturers are using the evolv brand as a test bed for new tool ideas. We have a list of new hand tools (which I’m sorry, I can’t share here) that will be released under the evolv brand in the next year. If sales and response are good, a rebranded and updated Craftsman version of the tool should start appearing in 2010.

Hope that helps. 🙂

Kevin T. Pace
    Customer Solutions Consultant
    Lawn & Garden Department
    Sears Store #1295, St. Petersburg, FL

6. Turbobrick says:

Do you need the original receipt or a copy of it? I’ve taken the habit of making photocopies (or electronic copies if I’m feeling really paranoid) of receipts. This makes them easier to store also as they slip neatly into a folder.

7. Kevin says:

There’s no real policy on photocopies of receipts. As long as the item number is visible and matches the item you’re returning and it is a Sears receipt and not from Home Depot or what have you, I think you’d be fine. Honestly, for me as an associate, it has yet to come up.

Kevin T. Pace
    Customer Solutions Consultant
    Lawn & Garden Department
    Sears Store #1295, St. Petersburg, FL

8. Dano says:

You could always take photos of your receipts if you don’t have a copy machine. I usually file mine on a folder on my pc.

9. Joe says:

Back to the tool–maybe I’m missing something here (I’ve had a couple of Millers and my spatial awareness is slipping), but what does a crank do at the end of a ratchet handle? It would seem to operate in the wrong plane to add any kind of speed wrench type of feature. Please enlighten me whilst I run to the fridge.

10. Kevin says:

It’s hard to explain without a visual demonstration but I’ll try and break down it’s two main functions.

The ratchet activates it’s drive head two ways. In it’s closed formation, you activate the drive head by twisting the handle back and forth like a screw. The head moves while the handle remains horizontally stationary. Excellent in places where a traditional ratchet or ratcheting wrench doesn’t have enough space to move to activate the ratchet wheel.

In the open formation, it basically works like a speed crank. You put the drive head on the bolt and crank to your heart’s content. The head spins as fast as you can crank it and of course it’s considerably less fatiguing than if it were just a straight handle instead of a z bend.

As an aside, I’ve demoed these for some customers and they work quite well. Kinda fun to use too and freak people out by holding the handle, tossing the head, and watching it spring to the open position.

Kevin T. Pace
    Customer Solutions Consultant
    Lawn & Garden Department
    Sears Store #1295, St. Petersburg, FL

11. bob B says:

I bought a ratchet like this when I was in Japan. Possibly a different brand as this was a few years ago. It worked good for the first few weeks, then all the joints started getting to much play in them & the ratchet became mostly useless. I wouldn’t pay much for this tool.

12. A Natale says:

Where are these tools manufactured? I enjoy the fact that I am supporting the middle class when purchasing tools made in the good ole USA.

13. Roger says:

What is not often realized is that the oft-quoted Craftsman “lifetime” guarantee is varies with the particular store and is the store manager’s decision. My dad and I bought Craftsman whenever we could, and I eventually inherited his. Some got to be quite old, but I remember buying every one….it was a father/son adventure and part of growing up.

Several tools that I have tried to return – or buy parts for – were flatly rejected by Sears. Other times they offered to replace them, but only for the original dollar value. At today’s Craftsman prices that just doesn’t buy much. Most times I just pitched them as they wore out….The cost of a new tool being easier to accept than dealing with a patronizing attitude.

It would be nice if they would simply replace the worn out tool – as the warranty implies. But the reality is that it varies. Some Sears stores will have a manager who will exchange tools straight across- and it is a real enjoyment when that happens. Some stores won’t do anything at all, and are less than happy to be asked. While others will only give credit for what they consider to be the original price.

It’s not a big issue for me, but I do like to set the record straight.
    Dad would be disappointed, but probably not surprised…….
    Roger