If you happen see a copy of Grassroots Motorsports peeking around the dozens of other car magazines on the shelf at your local retailer, you’d probably think it’s another mag just for racers or ricers.

You’d be dead wrong.

Started by a small staff of car lovers and active Florida motorsports participants many years ago, GRM is a fantastic resource for anyone who loves performance cars — but doesn’t have hundreds of thousands of dollars to drop on the latest toy. It turns out that a lot of the cars all of us drooled over in our youth are still out there. And many can be had for quite reasonable money now, assuming you have some basic tools and are willing to turn a wrench or two to own your dream.

GRM publisher Tim Suddard takes that a step further. I remember seeing him and the other GRM guys and gals regularly on the Central Florida autocross circuit — whenever they could find time around the crazy schedule they kept, constantly busting their asses and living meagerly to push GRM over the top. And now that GRM is big stuff and Tim finally has some cash to spend, what does he spend it on? Why more project cars, of course.

You’ll find lots of awesome resources in GRM ranging from tutorials on replacing a rusted quarter panel to encyclopedic run-downs of details and issues related to every make and model of your favorite sports cars car — perfect for locating the right used model for your next project. While you’ll see a lot of material related to autocrossing and road racing as well, much of the tech carries over directly to personal enjoyment of these vehicles.

Anyway, if you get a chance snag yourself a copy and check it out. And if you subscribe (you should), tell ’em the guys at Toolmonger sent you. They probably don’t know us from Adam, but we’re big fans.

Grassroots Motorsports [Main Site]

18 Responses to Source: Grassroots Motorsports

1. Old Donn says:

A grassroots publication with a prepped Viper coupe on the cover? Not exactly a barn find, back yard fixer upper. Deals on classics? Not since Barrett-Jackson. Anyone with a car over 25 years old thinks they’re sitting on their 401k.

2. Blind says:

GRM is a really god magazine. Last issue I picked up and read was covering a $2008 challenge where every car entered had to cost less than that (minus labor). It had basic little momentum racers to corvettes wtih vaccuums pulling them to the road. It’s one of the better car mags I’ve ever read.

3. KMR says:

I haven’t read GRM in the last few years, but I don’t rate it highly.

Content is advertiser biased, always has been since the first issue I read in 1992. Technical content, specifically things like tire tests, lack valuable data like cornering G and things that would be nice to know.

Nothing special about the magazine in my opinion at all, just a bunch of guys who figured out how to turn thier weekend hobby into a glossy magazine… with little care or desire for actually developing a quality magazine.

4. Chuck Cage says:

Funny — I mentioned these guys once before in 2007 and received a really positive reaction. (I’d forgotten this until I went digging for my copy of the issue pictured above, realized that I’d finally thrown it out with dozens of other mag back issues that were clogging up my office, then went looking for it online and found my other post. Oops.)

@Old Donn: I hear where you’re coming from, but FWIW, the issues I dug out of the trash show a different trend. Of the 12 issues I hadn’t taken to the curb yet, eight of ’em had pictures of cars under $20k on the cover (three were gen 1 and 2 Miatas), one was a drift car, one a Porsche race car, and one was Adam Carolla standing by the open hood of his restored Datsun 510 (which I’m pretty sure cost more than $20k, but still seems like a sweet story in my book). Inside I see articles on project cars like an old BMW E30, MR2, Sentra SE-R, and ‘Vette, and lots of articles on the nuts-and-bolts of making stuff run.

And I agree wholeheartedly re: Barrett-Jackson. What I enjoy about GRM is that they do a good job of thinking like I do — looking for something that’s not “classic” to anyone else, but means a lot to me personally. For example, I don’t own an MGA. (I used to, but let it go because I couldn’t afford to restore it properly.)

I do, however, own a first-gen (’93) Miata which gives a lot of the same enjoyment at a dramatically-reduced price. (Thankfully most guys think of ’em as “chick cars” so the price remains low! Clearly they’ve never autocrossed.) The Porsche 944S2 meant a lot to me because when I was in high school I dressed up like my Dad and managed to convince the local Porsche dealer to let me drive one by myself. I bought a basket-case for a couple grand a few years ago and (with lots of help from Sean and other Toolmonger friends) turned it into my still-not-excessively-valuable-but-lots-of-fun-for-me daily driver. So the GRM stuff that catches my eye is, for example, their 2005 article running down how to buy C4 ‘Vettes. One of those is on my list, and they’re almost into my price range.

@KMR: Sorry you had a bad experience. Maybe the article I wrote for ’em back around that time covering the One Lap of Florida was the bad stuff you saw. I’ll admit it isn’t my finest work. 🙂

5. Baxter says:

KMR, you need to see another issue. Try one on us, no charge, no obligation:

6. berettaguy says:

GRM is the BEST MAGAZINE EVER!
    (owner of two 10 year subscriptions)

7. toolaremia says:

What berettaguy said!

I was introduced to GRM by a buddy in about 1990 when I lived in Satellite Beach. It was the “Go racing now, cheap” issue with a guy holding “Will race for food” sign on the front. It’s the issue that convinced me to buy my first RX-7 to go autocrossing. I’ve been a subscriber ever since.

I’m one of the reasons they did the 10 year subscriptions. I kept pestering them for a lifetime subscription. 🙂

8. Old Donn says:

Oh, we’re talking sports-imports. I guess I forgot about that community. Classics automatically make me think Mustang, Road Runner, Chevelle SS etc. Oh yeah, no offense Chuck, but a Miata IS a chic car.

9. Old Donn says:

Aside to Adam R. That episode was on this morning. That one’s definitely a horse of a different color. Power like that in a Miata would be a handful.

10. chris devine says:

GRM is pretty cool, But I’m more of a fan of their sister magazine, Classic motorsports

11. Toolaremia says:

Anybody who thinks a Miata is a “chick car” hasn’t got a clue and doesn’t know how to drive fast. (Except maybe in a straight line.) I guarantee after one 20 minute session on-track with me or one of my friends, they will either be wetting their pants in sheer terror or asking where they can get one.

By the way, Playboy is sponsoring the 2009 Mazda MX-5 Miata Cup professional racing series. That’ll bring lots of “chicks” around… 😉

And, GRM regularly covers making Mustangs, Camaros, Corvettes, and more go fast. Though it’s true I don’t ever recall seeing a Chevelle…

12. Old Donn says:

Aside to Toolaremia, 67 Vette, L-79 small block, close ratio 4-speed, 3.70 posi. Unless we race in a kiddie swimming pool, I’m outta sight before you’re out of second.

13. Zathrus says:

Toolaremia, if you like the Miata, fine. But it is viewed by the general public as a “chick car”. Just google for “chick car” and the results are self-evident.

That said, I think the funniest list is from http://www.cargurus.com/blog/2009/01/09/guys-are-you-driving-a-chick-car/ (never visited their blog before, but the Miata bit was hilarious).

14. Chris says:

Zathrus: thanks for proving his point. The general public indeed *doesn’t* have a clue nor know how to drive fast 🙂

Old Donn: Unless your Vette has a seriously upgraded suspension and brakes, I’d take the Miata on a twisty track without room for the bigger motor to show its stuff. The Miata probably weighs 1000 lbs less and certainly handles better in showroom trim than a ’67 Vette does, but would obviously lose a drag race quite handily.

cl

15. Toolaremia says:

Old Donn, don’t get me wrong, that’s a killer ‘Vette. I own a couple of V8s, and Corvettes were my first love. Then I learned how to steer. 😉

But first corner we come to, you lose. Second corner we come to, you’re in the shrubbery when your brakes melt. The ‘Vette has heavy suspension, small brakes, vague steering, and outweighs the Miata by probably 1500 lbs. State-of-the-art… 41 years ago.

For an illustration of the importance of weight vs. horsepower, watch this video of a 500 HP M5 vs. a 230 HP RX-8. Both are driven by professional driving instructors. The M5 can’t get away despite more than twice the horsepower.

P.S. The Corvette love affair was rekindled when they came out with the ZO6 and turned into burning lust when they reintroduced the ZR1. Even with the goofy window in the hood…

16. Old Donn says:

Ah, Toolie, I knew I’d get a rise out of ya. Just wanted to see if you were paying attention. No offense meant, it’s all good.

17. Old Donn says:

Toolie, one more thing. 4 wheel disc brakes, IRS, 48-52 weight distribution. Might be 40 year old tech, but it seems everybody’s still using it. I assume your machine’s re-fitted with after market brakes, suspension, tires, engine mods etc. Mine’s still showroom stock.