Early Tuesday morning the northern part of the country experienced a super cold snap. Reports said temperatures slid down to well under minus-twenty-five degrees in some parts of Minnesota and the Dakotas. In short, it’s not a fun time up there.

This plumber with his heavy-duty IceBreaker appeared in a Chicago newscast, reminding folks to keep the water flowing from both hot and cold sources unless you’d like a visit from him to thaw and fix the pipes.  It sounds like good advice to us. Down here in the south, where we don’t have insulated pipes, we do this whenever the temperature dips under the freeze mark.

News Report [CBS 2 Chicago]

7 Responses to Northern Cold Snap

1. Deelow says:

Damn! It’s time’s like this I’m glad I live in Dallas. I get 30 degree weather in the mornings and night and about 70 in the day. Every now and then we get a cold spell but the winters here are a breeze. (no pun intended)

2. Bah, This is blown all out of proportion. Super cold snap my butt. It’s usually like this every winter. We’ve just had a few mild winters the last few years so everybody has forgotten what it’s normally like.

It’s like getting excited about rain in Seattle.

3. Coach James says:

I live in NC and I have insulated pipes. Several of my friends chose to insulate theirs as well after having pipes burst the past couple years.

4. jeff says:

I’m with you, Ben. I’ve been out snowmobiling all week here in MN. It isn’t that cold. Heated basement sure helps keeping the pipes warm though.

5. WolfCreek says:

Like Ben and Jeff said, it’s really not that cold here. This is more of a TYPICAL Minnesota winter, not the warm ones we’ve had lately. Plus, it keeps the riff-raff out. 🙂

6. David Bryan says:

In the winter of ’82-83 I was an infant instrument fitter foreman at a gas plant in Wyoming with a steam-tracing crew. As we were starting the plant up, one night a vessel, as I recall, 25′ tall and 40′ in diameter, full of hydrocarbon condensate that had been put into service improperly (it had a vacuum breaker but no pressure relief, and the inlet valve had been opened, but not the outlet valve) went way over design pressure and ended up going between 800 and 2000 feet in the air. People said they saw it from I-80 between Salt Lake City and Evanston. The fire didn’t start ’til the ambulance ignited some of the stray combustibles, but when it did the damage was estimated at $53 million. And all the steam lines failed, so when the smoke cleared there was a lot of ice all over everything and a lot of frozen pipes with all kinds of stuff in them. A lot, a lot. This was in February, at 8100 feet. That was quite a winter, and we had to do a lot of interesting things to get things right again.

7. Scott Dallesasse says:

Sussex, WI ——– I totally agree with Benjamen Johnson! Currently a whole wopping 3 degrees here. Not running the tap at all. The only thing that I do is keep a small thermostaticly controlled space heater in the first floor bath as it has no direct heating vent. Other than that nothing more than the normal winter preps.