Seems like everybody’s trying to redesign the ubiquitous utility knife.  Not wanting to be left out, Olympia Tools gave their TurboKnife X some features like tool-less blade-changing and ergonomic design, and they threw an X in the name to make their knife stand out from the crowd.

Olympia starts with a smooth anodized aluminum body with a comfortable-in-the-hand design and gives it a soft-touch finish.  They add a quality blade-retraction mechanism you can operate single-handedly with a security button that releases and locks the blade in 10 different positions.  To top it off they designed the knife so you can change the blade with just a turn of the thumb wheel.

Looks like you’ll pay $10 or more to clip the TurboKnife X to your belt, but if you want more than one, you can get ’em bundled in sets for a discount.

TurboKnife X [Olympia Tools]
Street Pricing [Google]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

Tagged with:

15 Responses to TurboKnife X: What’s With The X?

1. David Bryan says:

I am so inspired by this, I think I’ll start calling myself Dave-X, or maybe even Turbo Dave-X. And start wearing stripes to make me look taller. That ought to fix everything.

2. Shopmonger says:

Shopmonger-Xtreme………

haa haa haa haaa haa haa haa

3. Dave B. says:

I had one of these for a while, I’m a carpenter so we use our knifes a lot. I wouldn’t use it to cut drywall or replace a “standard” knife, but it was nice to have clipped to my side when my pouches were somewhere else. The only drawback for the tool is the tiny star-headed screws they use to hold it together come undone. Mine fell apart when it accidentally went through the washer.

4. ChrisW says:

What’s with the Turbo?

5. rg says:

That knife used to be named Turboknife Riebenschneider. Then it joined The Nation of Islam.

6. Jerry says:

Malcom’s grandson? They will sell a ton of these simply because they “look fancy”.

7. gumball says:

OOOOOOOOOOOH there soooooooooooooo cute.

8. asbestos says:

I hate stuff called extreme or even worse xtream. yuck.
    these knifes are good though. I got one for $7 and it was worth it.

9. Bob The Drywall Guy says:

Turbo Bob TDG-X…. while very extreme sounding, I gotta keep it old school spiderman… “Bob, your friendly neighbourhood drywall guy”

as far as the blade goes, meh, I’ve broken more blades like this then I care to admit buying.

If you’re looking for a comfortable, fixed blade utility knife, this Irwin makes love to your hand.

beyond that, for all my real work I use an Olfa H1… 4 of them infact.

Not to hijack this thread, but I’m curious if any other toolmongers have checked out any Bahco products, and what they think. They’re kinda new to me, and price aside, they are seriously nice tools.

10. arby says:

I wonder what happened to TurboKnifes I, II, III, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, and IX?

11. Mike89 says:

I’d like to have one of these. Problem is, they are nowhere to be found! Not one single store in my area sells them. The only place I’ve seen them is online and the shipping is more than the knife. This looks to be a good utility knife. The makers need to promote them better to the stores.

12. delta says:

i have one,and it cost me 5.35$ with all tax,it was a GOOD “steal” hahaha

13. Two-Speed says:

I bought one of these a couple months ago back when I was a Maintenance guy/Janitor and haven’t stopped finding uses for it since…I’ve used other utility knives, and none of them has even come close to this one in performance. I work in retail now and this knife outcuts everyone else’s boxcutters and utility knives.

14. sean says:

I work as a delivery driver and have had one of these knives . they are awesome. I can retract the blade so passing customers of the store do not get cut. i can have hands full and retract blade. as far as safety they are safer then a folding utility knife. plus they seem to stay put on my pocket. the screws came out on the one i had and getting another one Monday

15. Robert says:

Years ago, when they first came out, I got one and with my job in shipping and receiving, this knife was a godsend. Fast in getting it out of pocket and back in with being able to extend and retract the blade very quickly coupled with the small size so it did not over fill one’s pocked, this knife was the cat’s meow of box knives.

There were only two issues with this design, one was the screws tended to back out on their own, but a half drop of lock tite fixed that. The other was that the only piece of plastic on the whole knife was the locking button which made it prone to breaking if dropped, which could have been fixed by using a metal button instead.

Then, to everyone’s disappointment, the company went and redesigned the knife to be pretty much totally useless. The frame is now plastic which made the whole thing bigger and more cumbersome. A more cumbersome and time consuming method of changing the blade. Coupled with a complete redesign of the locking mechanism which forces your thumb to contort onto itself trying to push the button sideways to unlock and forward/back to extend/retract the blade and causing pain to shoot through your thumb.

Through the years, I have been keeping my eyes out for the original production knives, in case someone had old stock they just discovered, or a different brand that decided to fill the hole that Olympia Tools produced. And Today, I discovered one may have and I purchased a couple for evaluation. So far so good.