If you’re looking for an alternative to crimp-type connectors, check out these Posi-Lock in-line connectors.  You don’t need any crimping tools, and the connectors are rated for 600V using stranded AC or DC wires.

Just strip the end of the wire, insert it into the connector end, and screw the end onto the connector body. The center of the connector contains a brass conductor that the wire presses against to complete the connection.

Made by Swenco, these reusable connectors start at $10 per package, and they’re available online and in stores.  If you like these, Posi-Lock also offers tap, watertight, and twist connectors.

Posi-Lock [Swenco]
Street Pricing [Google]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

7 Responses to A New Twist On Wire Connectors

1. Shopmonger says:

I have a ton of these from an old job…. the work great for making testing rigs because you can reuse and reset these many times…….
    I recomend them for any electronics testing and then once set up you can easily undo them to make permanent solder joints

2. Ed says:

These are great to toss in the toolbox in the car. Perfect for an emergency repair or troubleshooting. I even used them as a “permanent” solution on my Jeep (hey, it’s a Jeep!)

3. Joe says:

Looks like a good idea, as does the Posi-Tite water proof version, but from the spec (no first-hand experience), they seem like they might be a little bulky. I think I’d be willing to give them a try.

4. Ron says:

So, now there’s a difference between wires for AC and DC?

5. Chuck says:

Psh. Ed, my old ’91 wagoneer DEMANDED these. The thing was, with that heap, you WERE going to have to redo it. Not if, but when. Doesn’t matter what it was.

6. David Bryan says:

For most practical AC vs. DC applications, there are significant differences between wires. Most people don’t normally encounter DC voltages over 24 volts or AC voltages under 24 volts. Generally you’ll come across DC voltages not over nominally 12 volts or AC voltages not under 120 volts. I really don’t understand what your comment is in reference to, but whether a circuit is for AC or DC makes a difference in a number of components. I like having some of these connectors handy for when conditions are somewhat less than optimal, and like Shopmonger says they’re really useful for temporary test connections.

7. Charles says:

While this looks like a great idea, in practice I can’t find anyone that sells them in North Carolina. If I need something like this, I need it right now, from an auto parts or hardware store. I can’t spend the time to order it online and have it shipped. I’ve gone out looking for these twice in the last six months, and both times I made do with soldering the wires and covering them with heat shrink. If I can’t find them, I can’t buy them.

Charles.