I’m not sure what to make of this one. At first I laughed and figured someone got clever with Photoshop or a 3D rendering. Nope, it’s legit — well, as legit as a 25’, battery-powered, voice-recording, bulky tape is likely to get. Shortly after discovering this thing I heard several horror stories involving broken tapes and dead batteries; then I logged on to the HSN site to read a few more.

I believe the word “gimmick” must actually appear somewhere on the tape. If not, you should stencil it in somewhere between the power switch and speaker slots. Given the reduced $5 price tag, I’m guessing this won’t go down in holiday season lore with Tickle Me Elmo and Nintendo Wii.

Unless you have a wicked funny bone and are getting it so you can share a laugh with someone special, steer clear.

[HSN]
Bob Villa Tape Measurer [Gear Diary]

9 Responses to Bob Vila Digital Tape

1. Old Coot says:

I won’t buy one until Billy Mays puts his seal of approval on it.

2. Jerry says:

Wow! This thing is even a step beyond the B & D “power tape” that has a push button to extend it and another to retract it. Pretty weighty device – you could get carpal tunnel from it.

3. Bob The Drywall Guy says:

A fool and his money are soon parted…

now, I’m aching to get my hands on a few of these…

and if you’re looking to shell out for a tape with a digital read… get a laser range meter, preferably one from hilti or stabilia. I’ve heard there are others, but I wouldn’t recommend them with any accuracy. The sonic based tapes are also a waste of money by all accounts.

My Hilti PD4 was lost at the city dump for a week. rained on for 3 of those days. It’s seen the dust of countless drywall jobs, been dropped and abused for over a year now, and still works like a charm, and I get a free recalibration this year from Hilti. Among the best $200 I’ve spent.

4. Michael W. says:

You can use this when you install that Bob Vila approved Lumber Liquidator Bellawood flooring.

5. gumball says:

6. gumball says:

Would Reiley(was on a show with Bob) or Norm use this.Could you see being on a job site with a talking tape measure.All the fellas would be chasing you around.Next we will have a talking toilet seat

7. Kurt Schwind says:

Bob Villa should be more careful about what he’s willing to slap his name on. Could you imagine him going to a work site on his own show and someone using one of these? I certainly can’t.

8. jason says:

I’m pretty sure the “Talking” part is a digital recorder so you don’t forget your measurements. Sigh.

9. Cass says:

I found one in a clean out I was doing and was wondering what it was it is definitely interesting looking is there a manual I could get for it anywhere? I’m sure the Manuel will provide more comedy