Sometime you have no choice but to run wires under the carpet; you might have finished rooms above and/or below where you need to run networking, speaker, or other low-voltage wiring.  You’re not going to get very far just trying to push the wire under the carpet — that’s where an under-carpet snake comes in handy.

This snake from B.E.S. is 25 feet of flat annealed stainless steel.  You fish the rounded end under the carpet, thread the wire through the hole at the tip and secure it, and pull the wire back under the carpet.  The snake comes in its own curled PVC case, which stores the tape and keeps it coiled and compact.

This snake will bite you for $40 to $60 depending on where you look.

B.E.S. [Corporate Site]
Street Pricing [Google]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

Tagged with:

6 Responses to Snake Wires Under The Carpet

1. Chris says:

How is this different from a regular fish tape?

2. Brau says:

I’ve seen too many people ruin good carpets by running tel wires under it. Flat wire is available for this purpose and won’t ruin the rug by causing a raised bump. I agree with Chris too, can’t see what makes this better than a normal fish tape.

3. fred says:

I think that this one has a pointed end with a needle eye.
    The pointy end make piercing the carpet easier – the needle eye allows you to attach the wire.

4. Fabian says:

Correct, over time, most cables, except flat wire will kill your carpet. The problem will start with a small visual dimple in the carpet, and with some traffic, the carpet will deform and/or you’ll damage the wire and have to just redo the job and fix the carpet.

2 cents,
    F.

5. justin says:

Also gotta be careful of messing up the padding, I ran 2 cat5e cables underneath the carpet in an apartment and it caught the padding when I was pulling it through.

It was a giant pain trying to get the padding the lay flat again; good thing they were redoing the carpet after I moved out anyway.

6. Will says:

I bought this thing and it sucks . The metal is to cheap and bends easy