Two dado blade types dominate the industry.  Wobble dado blades are simple one-piece blades where you adjust the width by making it wobble more or less — unfortunately this leaves the bottom of the dado slightly concave.  Stacked dado blades include blades, chippers, and shims which you add or subtract to get the correct width.  These type leave a flatter bottom, but are usually more expensive and can be difficult to adjust.

Freud tries to combine the advantages of both types of dado blades with its Dial-A-Width sets. The sets are in essence a stacked dado blade without the shims.  Instead Freud uses a patented dial hub that adjusts the blade width by .004″ with every click.

The dado set can cut dadoes or grooves up to 29/32″ wide in plywood, veneered plywoods, hardwoods, and softwoods.  The blades work with a 5/8″ arbor on either left- or right-operating saws.  Freud makes both a 6″, 20-tooth blade set and an  8″, 24-tooth blade featuring their own micro-grain TiCo (Titanium and Cobalt) high-density carbide teeth.

Either set includes two blades, five chippers (four 1/8″ wide and one 3/32″ wide), a wrench, storage case, and DVD.  You’ll pay $230 for the 6″ set which would be adequate for most woodworkers unless you need to cut dadoes deeper than 3/4″ or so, and $270 for the 8″ set.  Do your research before buying one of these sets — there are some reports that they don’t work on all table saws.

Dial-A-Width Dado Sets [Freud]
Street Pricing [Google]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

Tagged with:

8 Responses to Dial-A-Dado

1. Michael W. says:

I use a stacked set from Freud (on my dedicated dado tablesaw) which I don’t find difficult to adjust at all, and at around $100 for the 8″ set it’s a heck of a lot better deal. You can buy a few more nice tools for the extra $170.

2. fred says:

We love Freud blades in may other applications – but have Forrest Dado sets.
    When its time to replace one – this set is up on our list for a try. It may depend on comparative price at that point.

3. Shopmonger says:

Yeah the only thing that keeps me from getting one of these is the proce…
    I have a stack dado set and it works great…

I Love freud blades… very smooth finish… But this is just way too expensive. $170 is a ton more to spend, I can get some nice wood to throw through the dado for that .

4. fred says:

Price is everything – but if you ruin some expensive laminate with chipout from an inferior set – the price of our Forrest sets start to look cheap

5. Gary says:

I’ve got this in the 8″ set. It works just as advertised – it’s very easy. Rockler was having a big sale a few years back. It was also cheaper then. I got it for about $170 on sale.

6. Mister Peepers says:

I have to go find out how my mother feels about this.

7. donutboy says:

Let’s see how bad bosch can screw this company / product up.

8. Matt says:

Since I’ve got more time than money, I’m going to try THIS:

Stacking some 7 ¼ blades that cost under $10 each. Might take a little investment to find something that leaves a flat bottom but I can always go back to the router and a shop-made jig. $170 would almost get me one of those nice new routers with the in-table depth adjustments. Like THIS: