Depending on your climate, covering your attic insulation may lead to moisture problems.  But Metro Products’ Attic Dek allows the insulation to breathe while still providing solid and durable decking to store your boxes and other junk.

They make tiles in two sizes, either 16″x16″ or 24″x16″, to accommodate the most common joist spacing.  Each panel supports up to 250lbs and removes easily with a few screws so you can access duct work, wires, or pipes underneath.

You secure the lightweight interlocking panels to the attic floor joists with five 2″ flathead screws.  Since they’re sized to fit the floor joists exactly, there’s no measuring and cutting involved.  Besides storage areas, you can also use Attic Dek panels to create walkways or crawl-ways.

The 16″x16″ tiles come in packs of eight and cover about 14 sq. ft., and the 24″x16″ tiles come in packs of four and cover about 10 sq. ft.  You’ll pay somewhere around $30 to $45 for packs of either type.

Attic Dek [Metro Products]
Street Pricing [Google]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

Tagged with:

14 Responses to Simple Storage Space For The Attic

1. Trevor D. says:

Hey those are pretty sweet! I like that concept a lot.

2. Sean O'Hara says:

Damnit Ben! Well, I’m gonna have to get some of that.

3. jeff says:

Doubtful that those will work up here in the great frozen north. My attic insulation is way too thick for those. I would have to rake it thin in spots in order to use these.

4. SuperJdynamite says:

Be very careful before you go and add a live load to your attic floor. Although that flooring is rated to ~144lb/sqft there is probably no attic in existence that is rated for a live load of 144lb/sqft.

5. Baba says:

I love this idea and will be using it in the attic of the Stone House.

6. Kai says:

Anyone know if these things are available in Australia?

7. Brau says:

I say “PhotoShop”!! No way my wife would ever do that!

8. Dr.No says:

Kai, if you find them in Aus, I would be interested to know where too.

9. Fabian says:

I have seen these “solutions” many times before. For the price you don’t get much surface area covered.

There must be some other material one can get, maybe some thick plywood and have it screwed into the floor studs.

2 cents,
    F.

10. Zathrus says:

Fabian — the usual method is either taking a full sheet of ply and cutting into quarters or buying the pre-cut attic panels they sell (which have tongue and groove edges for added strength at edges). I prefer the pre-cut ones, since the price difference is negligible and the added strength is nice.

IIRC, it’s generally 11/32 ply or OSB. Used both, don’t really have a preference. If you need additional height for insulation then just screw some 2x4s/2x6s to the joists first, then put the boards on top.

11. Spacemakahi says:

After the study of your post I found that it is really a nice article. It is because you secured lightweight interlocking penal to the attic.

12. DiiSegreti says:

That’s fine and dandy if you’re into spending every dime you earn on your attic. The attic in the picture does an R-Value of about 9 to 12. I don’t know any climate in the country that doesn’t have a minimum requirement of R38 for an attic.
    But hey it’s your energy bill not mine.if you have enough room in your attic build a raised platform above your areas required R-Value. Just call a local installer or do it your self. If you plan on using fiberglass figure about an r2.9 pet inch and cellulose r3.5 per inch. Divide that by code and you get insulation thickness.once the platform is in you can upgrade your insulation anytime and not lose your storage.

13. Helen Wright says:

Could anyone tell me if there is anything available in the UK? Thank you in Advance.

14. Melodie D. says:

Where can I find these towels can you get them at Home Depot or Lowe’s?Please email me back and let me know where I may purchase these towels for the Attic