We’ve seen a hundred different types of adjustable wrenches come and go here on Toolmonger;  some are stupid and some are just downright funny. For the first time in a long while we’ve stumbled upon one that’s at the very least interesting — the HK1 is a hydrokinetically adjustable wrench.

“How the hell does that work?” was, of course, our first question.  Near as we can figure, the wrench has a hollow core, two fluid reservoirs, and a valve.  When you set the valve to let the fluid move around inside the tool, it can be displaced from one end to the other.  Displacing fluid moves the adjustment piston and allows you to set the wrench to the desired size.  Then you lock the valve and, if the fluid isn’t compressible, you’ve got yourself an adjusting wrench.

If nothing else we have to give the folks at Expedition Tools the creativity award. We’re curious to know if regular old hydraulic fluid is rolling around in there, and we wonder what the failure rate’ll be, but that said — it looks wicked cool.

No word on pricing yet, but it could actually be pretty affordable if the manufacturing process isn’t bad.

HK1 Hydrokinetically Adjustable Wrench [Expedition Tools]

9 Responses to Preview: HK1 Hydrokinetically Adjustable Wrench

1. utako says:

had mine for 48 hours.. find it a bit awkward.. my mechanism is way, *way* too stiff in certain places.. have to use screw driver to push it. couldn’t do it entirely with the fingers. Don’t know if it’s defective or if it will take a few more days to settle in and become completely smooth. Tool shows promise. The added bonus, people think the tool is from a Star Trek set.

2. Bor says:

39.99 (cdn) at Canadian Tire, I know it’s been on sale though because I recognize it from the weekly flyers. For those not familiar, they tend to have bad regular prices but pretty big discounts for sale items.

3. Dazrin says:

Kinda like the old Craftsman Pocket Sockets. I always liked mine, this seems a little harder to adjust, but maybe would stay put a little better.

4. Bob says:

I made two phone calls to their number. Both times I requested the price and was told to leave my phone number (my answer machine is on 24/7) and someone would bet back to me. This never happened. I can only imagine what the response would be if I had purchased one and then had to call if I had a problem.
    If they don’t respond to purchase inquires, why would they respond to complaint/help calls?

This is a RED FLAG for me and says DON’T BUY !!!

5. Brau says:

Seems like tech looking for a reason to exist to me. A simpler mechanism (IE: a worm gear like a crescent wrench) embedded in the shaft would work just as easily and be less prone to failure.

6. Bob says:

Update/Follow Up.

Yesterday after sending an Email copy of this post to Expedition Tools, I got two phone calls from them. I missed the first one (no message left), but got the second one from Dwayne Anderson. He was very nice and apologized for any problems I had experienced. He further stated that most of their inquires had been via Email, and that I was actually the first one ever to call by phone.

We had a good conversation, he explained that when Amazon is out of stock, they don’t list the price and that is why I couldn’t find it. I would add that these calls were preceded by two Emails, one of which listed the price $29.95 US.

So the bottom Line here is that I retract my previous “Red Flag Warning” and now wave the “Green Flag”, for them being Good Guys, and Responsive.

7. STeve says:

I bought one for my dad a few weeks ago. He loved it, sent me a pretty thorough review of it. He said he hoped they would make a bigger one. He’s a plant mechanic at a factory so he uses it everyday. My mom just told me that last week it broke. She didn’t explain but she mentioned that he had said that maybe it was because he was using it in the freezer. I think that means the hydraulics are goofed in some way, and that the wrench didn’t physically crack.

He emailed the manufacturers and they haven’t responded yet.

8. Michael says:

So sorry for that. I checked our email again. Actually, we didn’t received your father’s email. Maybe some communication issue happened. So please contact us. We will change a new one for you. My contact information is followed.

Say sorry again.

EXPEDITION TOOLS INC.
    9300 Charles-De-Latour, Suite 300
    Montreal, Quebec,
    Canada H4N 1M2
    Tel: 1-514-858-1988
    chunhua.liu@expeditiontools.com

9. Michael says:

So sorry for that. I checked email again. Actually, we didn’t received your email. Maybe some communication issue happened. So please contact us. We will change a new one for you. My contact information is follow. Say sorry again.

EXPEDITION TOOLS INC.