It’s not everyday we hear workshop and reloading bench in the same sentence, but this photo of reader Mr. Smashy’s shop shows us just that combo.  Mr. Smashy recently posted up a set of pink ear protectors for the young’n, and now I’m starting to understand why.

I was taught safety and respect for firearms at an early age, and it worked out pretty well. We understood what guns actually were, what they could do, and to stay away from them when the parental units weren’t around.  Of course, it didn’t hurt that we had to clean them anytime we touched them, so work was involved — which is a fantastic way to make children lose interest.

Toolmonger Photo Pool [Flickr]

14 Responses to Flickr Pool: Mr. Smashy’s Workbench

1. Fred says:

The very first picture I posted to the Toolmonger group was the workbench I use for reloading. You can see my Dillon 650 reloading press, the orange tumbler behind it, a gallon jug of ground corn cob media for the tumbler, and the magazine files that I use for storing shell cases.

2. bender says:

Looks like some version of the M-16 rifle… Doesn’t that just seem a little…. unsafe? I mean, hunting rifles are one thing, but what would you do with an assault rifle? It stretches the imagination to think that anybody would need that for deer hunting. This just looks like a tragedy waiting to happen…

3. Zathrus says:

It’s probably an AR-15, which looks like an M-16, but is only semi-auto.

And even if it was an M-16, some people do legally own them for target shooting.

Or annihilating a deer.

4. Fred says:

Aw, Bender. Just think of it as a cordless 7/32″ drill.

5. JT says:

All weapons are a tragedy in the wrong hands, the AR 15 won’t do anything until it is fired.

6. PeterP says:

It actually makes sense as a hunting rifle, in a Toolmonger sort of way. It’s a well tested, proven design, does not rust or corrode as easily as traditional lever or bolt action rifles with wooden stocks, and has a vast number of replacement parts and upgrades available. The difference between an Assault Rifle and a Hunting Rifle is largely semantics anyway.

7. Bren R. says:

Hard to see it, maybe an AR-10 or AR-180?

And the term assault rifle doesn’t really mean anything, does it? It’s just a big scary term for an autoloading rifle in a military calibre. In the case of that AR, it’s probably an autoloader (semi-automatic to the uninitiated) not full automatic, and fires the 5.56mm NATO round (which is the same as a .223 Remington) which is just a wee little .22 on steroids.

Never quite understood why anything that looks military is scarier than something that looks “civilian” or “antique”.

8. Fred says:

PeterP, You have reminded me that my target shooting friends (rifle) have taken the worn stainless steel match barrels from their match service rifles and had them rechambered (just ahead of the chamber is where they wear out) and shortened to carbine length to make deer hunting rifles for Northern Wisconsin. The collapsible stock of a carbine allows for adjustment to compensate for how thick the clothing might be.

BTW, A match service rifle has the same relation to a service rifle as a NASCAR stock car has to a dealer’s showroom car. Some pretty impressive stuff can be done to an AR-15 by a good gunsmith.

9. Zathrus says:

@Bren – The AR in AR-15 doesn’t stand for “Assault Rifle”, but “Armalite” (the original manufacturer).

The major difference between the AR-15 and the M-16 is that the AR is semi-automatic (one shot per trigger pull) while the M-16 is switchable between single shot and full auto (fire until trigger released) or selective fire (3 shots/pull) depending on model.

There’s other differences too, but none that cannot be legally recreated by civilians. Changing an AR-15 to full auto, while possible, will also get you a very long jail sentence if you’re caught with it.

10. mr.smashy says:

The rifle in question is a National Match AR-15. It weighs over 17 lbs dry. It’s a more effective club than assault rifle.

>We understood what guns actually were, what they could do, and to stay away from them when the parental units weren’t around.

Great things for parents to help their children understand, even if there are no firearms in the home. Otherwise people might not understand just how similar an AR-15 and a bolt action hunting rifle are (bullets come out, can kill anyone just as dead if not used properly).

11. Bren R. says:

Zathrus:

Believe me, I know… I own an AR-180B… I was refering to bender’s post calling it an assault rifle.

And I used just the alphabetic part of the name in the next sentence because it was unclear as to what model it was.

12. Bob The Drywall Guy says:

man… this is the part of being a canadian city dweller that sucks. I know nothing about firearms. I can’t wait to get my country place up and my firearms license. And subsequently devote a shrine like bench in my shop to taking it apart and maintaining a rifle or 3.

13. Bren R. says:

Uh, Bob…

I’m a Canadian city dweller too.

14. Manny says:

Legalizing firearms of that sort in Canada has no positive impact to improve Canada as a whole. Hunting rifles and shotguns…ok, Maybe even the odd hand gun for organized competion. But if legalizing the genre of automatic and assault rifle type weapons ever happens, they better be damn hard to obtain and have good reason to own one.