I’ve always wanted to try my hand at building a sweet cutting board, so when reader 1200tec posted up a few examples of his latest project I felt a little behind.  I’ll admit to altering my plan after seeing his excellent and stylish execution.

1200tec chose walnut, purple heart, and what looks like maple to create a sweet checkered block. The project started off as an exercise in gluing and clamping, but later he got to add sanding and oiling to the list.  He used the small amount of stock to great effect, and from what we can tell, the two days he worked on the board was time well-spent.

You’d pay a small fortune for a cutting block like this if you bought it in a store, so hats off to 1200tec for his hands-on approach.

Toolmonger Photo Pool [Flickr]

14 Responses to Flickr Pool: Block Of Many Colors

1. Nick says:

Was there any doweling or other fastening apart from the glue? I’ve been thinking about doing this with some maple scrap I have..

2. PeterP says:

Doesn’t look like it. If properly glued and clamped, you shouldn’t need any mechanical fasteners…

3. 1200tec says:

Nick,

All was glued and clamped. Just like PerterP said no mechanical fasteners, just glue.

4. RMorris says:

What type of glue did u use??

5. 1200tec says:

I used Titebond® III(http://www.titebond.com/WNTitebondIIITB.asp) because its FDA approved and it was recommended by the people at woodcraft for butcher blocks. Also the wood used is Maple, Walnut, Padauk and Purpleheart. Woodcraft has a project pack there for $20 bucks that has it Heres the link for it (http://www.woodcraft.com/product.aspx?ProductID=840185&FamilyID=21093)

6. paganwonder says:

Thanks for upping the ante! Titebond II is food safe I believe, check they’re web site.

7. Kevin says:

Now that there is beautiful. I had an idea for a similar backing that I would mount a calendar on. Was planning on making it thinner than that though. What kind of oil did you use since it will have food on it?

8. Old Coot says:

Just beautiful. Merry Christmas everyone.

9. 1200tec says:

The guys at woodcraft gave me a clear bottle of butcher block oil. Not sure what brand but I will check for you.

10. Mike47 says:

Jasco makes butcher block oil. I believe I paid $5 for 6 oz about 3 months ago. It’s basically pure mineral oil.

11. builders older brother says:

Good one Jeremy purple heart and purdue is somewhat poisoness…..are you trying to kill mom or what? Anywhoooooo the board looks great. As Always when your ready to to a TV series Im there for ya.

Merry Xmas (yes I said Merry Christmas)

Brother Adam

12. karen says:

wow. that’s gorgeous.

13. drago says:

Is there any joinery at work here or is it all just glue?

Did you assemble this in columns and then clamp all six columns together?

I’m just getting into woodworking and this seems like a nice intro project.

14. CYLONmatrix says:

make it 8X8 and you’ve got a sweet chessboard!