Every Toolmonger Sean and I meet seems to have one or more sources for low-budget materials — a scrapyard where aluminum is cheap, a junkyard full of make-specific car parts, or even a surplus equipment shack full of everything from busted computers to aircraft instruments. Personally, I’d like to find a shop that stocks (stacks?) Porsches like the one pictured above. Hell, even in the picture I can see a trim piece that I’d love to have for my 944.

So what’s your favorite secret stash? Where do you go to find parts and materials cheap?

(Thanks, Williamson, for the great CC-licensed photo.)

9 Responses to Reader Question: Where Do You Junk/Scrap?

1. KMR says:

Secret stashes stay secret for a reason…

2. kif says:

It’s been a long time since I’ve been to a salvage yard where I ended up buying much at all. In my area, the pull-your-own places and yards that have good late model parts are different. There is a pull-your-own that I like to go just for amusement. It’s called Pull-N-Save in Aurora, CO and they have cement under all the cars. That’s a big plus in CO where cold mud makes things unpleasant. They have an annual event where you pay a flat rate of $30 or so for whatever you can carry for 10 yards or something. Their any engine for $79.99 is good too, you just have to be in the right place at the right time.

They even have a burrito truck in the yard for those long days. In the interest of disclosure, however, I must admit that I haven’t eaten a junk yard burrito.

Sometimes you will find the craziest personal effects in the nooks and crannies of the cars.

I got a distributor there for between $10 and $20 for my 89 Prelude when all other yards were quoting $150 plus. http://www.pullnsave.com/

3. Chuck,

Are you still nursing that 944? I thought you would have gotten rid of it when you got a reliable daily driver.. 🙂

4. Aaron Baca says:

Here in the Pacific Northwest, real estate has gotten so expensive and environmental regulations to stringent that they’re all disappearing. I have a ’78 Ford truck that I’m trying to keep running and NOS parts are spendy. There isn’t a single junkyard (especially a pull-a-part) within a reasonable distance anymore.

5. Tim B. says:

@Aaron — Amen! VERY hard finding good junkyards these days….

And not only that, as far as good ‘materials’ and misc. junk at cheap prices — we lost our prime resource when Boeing closed Boeing Surplus =( Anyone else out there in the Seattle / PNW area know of any other good digs for this sort of thing? We’re dying up here….

6. Chris says:

I am feeling the same pain. I used to frequent Pacific Industrial Supply for materials and useful junk. Until they moved and left their sole behind. Boeing Surplus – gone. Radar Electric – gone. We do have Pull-a-part in Lynnwood for car parts. I find stuff there for my ’79 F-150. They are the only pull yer own yard around and, the only game for decent prices on anything. The only suggestion that I can make is to join any organization with the same intrests that you have. I am a member of the Seattle Metalheads Yahoo group, for example. I have been able to get ahold of a few things through that avenue.

7. Chuck Cage says:

@Rick: Once I got over my mad with the 944, I’ve come to love it. It’s far from perfect, but it now has no major mechanical issues and I use it as my daily driver. I’ve always liked its aesthetic, and at least I don’t run into dozens of other 944S2s on the road. 🙂

8. paganwonder says:

In this age of global warming fear mongering maybe we can get laws passed REQUIRING availability and access to “used” stuff- no land filling, just re-use.

9. Gerard says:

Does anyone know of a single U pull place on Long Island?