My brother’s automotive tales are the stuff of legend and myth — chances are, if there’s a funky way to get through a situation with an automobile, he’s managed to find it.  The latest story came to me yesterday morning after what turned out to be the first day with ice on the roads here in north Texas.

They use sand on the roads instead of salt, which is OK but rather messy after it melts.  My brother was out driving the day after it all melted when he noticed that the trucks were kicking lots of sand onto his windshield and he couldn’t see.  Naturally he kicked on the windshield washer.  Of course, being as fastidious about auto maintenance as he is, it’s been maybe 8 to 12 months since he checked the fluid — as it happened, he was out.

By now the wipers had managed to smear things pretty good and he could hardly see at all, and he had to act quickly.  So in his mind the next logical thing he thought of was to pop the sunroof — while still driving — pour the Dr. Pepper he was drinking down the front of the windshield, and turn the wipers back on.

For my brother this was a win/win:  He solved his problem and didn’t have to stop.  Though creative, I wouldn’t recommend this fix to anyone resembling a sane person.

The Lesson: check your fluids.

11 Responses to A Winter Weather Reminder

1. Aaron says:

Here in Ontario Canada, they use a mixture of sand and salt together on the roads. This creates a slushy mix of sand/salt/snow on the roads that then gets on your windshield. Also makes for some interesting times when your tires catch and it pulls you towards the side of the road where the snow bank is waiting to for you, or worse towards on coming traffic. I prefer driving on snow covered roads without all that crap on it. Good snow tires are a must for winter.

2. eric says:

It is snowing 2″ per hour where i’m at in northern michigan…. gives new meaning to winter wonderland

3. Toolboss says:

Actually, he wasn’t too far off on the Dr. Pepper.

Ever have a buildup of semi-transparent “stuff” on your windshield left by the wiper blades? I’m talking about a haze that rfemains even after you wash the car?

Take a can of Coke..the real stuff with sugar, and let it go flat. Then pour it across the windshield, and scrub with an ordinary sponge like the better half uses in the kitchen. The sugar and acid in the Coke will clean the haze right off the windshield glass.

I haven’t ever tried a Dr. Pepper, but it may do the same…

4. simon says:

Made me smile reading that. ( ^ _ ^ )

5. Pruitt says:

Ah Texas. Our northern brethern may not understand that “ice on the roads” is all we get, and it usually only happens once a year (maybe twice). SO, nobody has snow tires or any real winter prep. I don’t even carry a sleeping bag or shovel anymore. That suits us well since it’s so rare, but when it does ice over it shuts down Dallas really fast! Just watch the national news for our Suburbans sliding down the expressways!

6. kif says:

I lived for 3 winters in Colorado before buying a Subaru Outback, which I think one out of every five people seem to own around here. I don’t have snow tires but the Michelin all season tires seem to be fine. I keep tire cables in the back if things are really bad. The wiper blades designed for snow are great, and the Subaru’s windshield washer fluid reservoir takes the full gallon. It’s not an impressive rig but effective. Once I was in heavy traffic during an ice storm, having to stop on hills. The old Subaru would squirm for a second then pull away clean – no drama

7. Leaf says:

Must have been driving pretty slow otherwise it seems like most if not all of the pop would end up going back into the sunroof or onto him.

8. jeff says:

@Leaf Now that’s a funny mental image.

9. paganwonder says:

Agree with Aaron, people who can’t drive on snow can’t drive on snow/slush/sand either! For ice storms I get the flu!

10. Ken says:

Texans can’t drive for shit when the road is dry. Watching them drive on ice is comical.They drive like the keystone cops.

11. Jim K. says:

Reminds me of the year that they tried using a salt substitute on the roads in RI to minimize the environmental impact. It melted the ice pretty well, but the road spray was miserable. It dried almost instantly on your windshield and left a nearly opaque coating. Lord help you if you ran out of washer fluid, driving became an exercise in taking your life into your own hands. Luckily it was so bad they switched what they used the following year.