hot-or-not4.jpg

Utility knives like this MaxiKnife are so commonplace around the shop, you’ll find about as many different kinds as Baskin-Robbins has ice cream — the trick is finding which one works for you.  And it better be sturdy, ’cause once you single out a model to place in harm’s way, it’s in for quite a beating.

The lightweight MaxiKnife features a crooked handle like many knives on the market now.  Blade storage is in the handle, and the blade slide feels pretty solid.  However we haven’t put one through its paces in the shop, and anyone can tell you that’s where the action’s at.

We’re curious to see if anyone’s tried one of these.  Did the angled handle work out well in everyday shop work?  How did it hold up against being dropped?  If you haven’t gotten ahold of one yet, how do you think it’ll do?  Let us know in comments.

Street pricing starts around $8.

MaxiKnife [Redback Tools]

8 Responses to Hot or Not? MaxiKnife Shop Blade

1. Bugler says:

Not. I bought a bent knife that looks just like this one, but under a different brand name. I haven’t found it to be very useful at all. The blade carriage is stiff and sometimes binds. It’s heavy. To me, it’s not as comfortable as a straight one. I went back to my old Stanley’s– fixed-blade for the bench and retractable for the toolbox.

2. Thomas says:

I bought a straight stanley one.. got left on top of a machine outside for about 3 months. Coworker moved the machine with a forklift and ran over it. Still good. (although slightly bent now) Bwahaha..

3. jay tool junkie ram says:

Am I the only one that seems to answer the question here?
    I have 3 of these exact knives around and at least one more in it’s original packaging… and have given 2 away as gifts. To say the least these Redback knives are solidly built and to answer why I have so many? Amazon had clearance prices ($4.00) on their entire line of Redback tools they stocked late last year.
    These knives are heavier than others, physically but they feel great if you’re cutting drywall or just cardboard. The kink in these knives help with the ergonomics and give me the confidence my hand won’t slip down the length of the blade if wet. Just pick up the tool I guess if you see it down the aisle and you’ll know what I mean.
    The only problems you may encounter as I have with mine is that the release knob for the extra blade access is under great tension due to the spring inside.
    Well worth the 8 bucks if you’re hands become sweaty or wet during use or you just want a bullet proof utility knife.

4. Julian Tracy says:

I also bought one at Amazon for $4 – should have bought more – very nice design and heavy duty.

My daily workhorse is a Lennox model – has ball bearing pressure points to keep the blade tight.

For all those old-timers singing the praises of fixed blade knives – see you later while you’re still unscrewing the damn screw on your knife replace the blade.

I’d sooner throw away a fixed blade razor – what’s the point? Just buy a good retractable. Not sure that the above model is it – but I’ve had great luck with my Lennox, and I beat it up pretty well.

JT

5. KevinB says:

I prefer the old classic stanleys for around the house, I like the retractable stanley for roofing where I need to swap out hook blades.

6. ambush says:

My favorite is definitely the Olfa ratchet wheel knife.

7. fred says:

Handsome Handyman Jake Tyson of Redback tools is look for Miss DIY. Just create a short video explaining why you’d be the perfect Miss DIY and you could win a trip to Australia. Visit http://jaketysonsredbacktools.ning.com/ for details.

8. tom wells says:

I bought 2. I use these utility tools in my shop regularly. My regular knife (Stanley) is old and smooth with paint worn off, but still working. Thought a bent “fancy” one would be worth looking at for tough jobs that I didn’t want to expose my “favorite” knife to. *** They have proven to be useless. The slides both seize up and no amount of adjusting will take care of the problem. I just found that the slide on one of them would not hold the blade and the blade moved. I tried to bend the little tab in the center of the slide so it would hold the blade in place. The slide broke in half. I’m going to mount them on the wall in my shop to remind me to leave good enough alone. **** Conclusion = Good Idea but Poorly Made!