Designed to be part of your basic camping gear, the 15″-long Gator combo axe by Gerber packs an axe and a razor-sharp 6″ saw in one 1lb 12oz package.

Gerber attaches a forged steel axe head to a hollow glass-filled nylon handle for an axe that’s both rugged and lightweight.  They texture the axe handle with their “Gator” texturing to help prevent the Gator from becoming a throwing axe.  The saw handle, which is held inside the hollow axe handle by an internal magnet, also features the “Gator” texturing.

Pricing starts around $30 and includes the ballistic nylon carrying sheath.

Gator Axe II [Gerber]
Street Pricing [Google Products]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

Tagged with:

7 Responses to A Whole Lot Of Cutting In One Package

1. mitch says:

i’d stay away from the gator axe, had one shatter into pieces while splitting wood for a camp fire. its just not as strong as their stand alone axes.
    The gerber sport axe however is a fine tool that has held up to some serious abuse.

2. ShopMonger says:

Mitch it looks as if they are combined ….Anyone else have experience with these, it looks like a great product

3. mitch says:

It was the Combo tool that snapped, if the saw were stored in the handle at the time i likely would be typing left handed for a while. Its odd that the difference in quality would be so great between this and its twin the Gerber Sport Axe (http://www.gerbergear.com/index.php/product/id/181)

4. mitch says:

Come to think of it, the Gator Combo tool I purchased was dull right out of the blister pack. While the Sport axe was nearly shaving sharp. Perhaps Sportsman’s warehouse sold me a factory second.

5. Geoff says:

I also had one of the Gator combo axes and have the handle shatter.

The problem is that combo axe has a hollow handle down at the bottom that allows the saw to fit inside. That makes it too weak. The saw is too small for much use so go for the Sport Axe that has a solid far more rugged handle.

6. David Bryan says:

When I was a kid my brother and I each got a hatchet for Christmas or something one year. They weren’t any great shakes, and we both managed to tear them up before too long. But boy did I have some fun with mine. Later on I did a lot of this and that in the woods and liked using what was either a real short-handled ax or a long-handled hatchet, but I’ll never get over thinking of a little hatchet as a toy, or something for somebody as feeble as I am nowadays to use. I’ve got a little bitty Collins hatchet I get rough on the woodwork with sometimes. I’m sure that thing could be handy, and definitely better than your teeth and a rock, but it doesn’t look like much to me. They’ll put that Gerber name on just about anything these days.

7. Subvert says:

Disappointing that it breaks so easily. If it didn’t, I could definitely imagine the intimidation factor of pulling the saw out of the axe handle in a self-defense situation.