hot-or-not4.jpg

A funnel can help you put gas in your tank without spilling it all over the place — and if you’re using a funnel, why not one that filters the gas to get rid of contaminants?  That’s exactly what the fuel filters from Mr. Funnel do.

Mr. Funnel fuel filters combine a heavy-duty, fast-flow fuel filter with an anti-static, polypropylene funnel.  They designed the fluoropolymer-coated stainless steel fuel filter to remove water, dirt, and debris from gasoline, diesel, and kerosene.  The contaminants collect in the sump area for easy inspection and cleaning.

Mr. Funnel sells four different models of their fuel-filtering funnel.  The funnels range in price from $20 to $40 and support flow rates of 2.7gpm to 15gpm respectively.

We all want to take care of our gasoline-powered tools and toys as best we can, but is filtering the gas really necessary?  Is Mr. Funnel a useful tool, or is it just a gimmick?  If it is useful, what exactly are you doing to your fuel to contaminate it before you pour it in the tank?  Let us know in the comments.

Mr. Funnel [Corporate Site]
Street Pricing [Google Products]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

Tagged with:

17 Responses to Hot or Not? Mr. Funnel

1. Uthor says:

Not.

After being filtered numerous times at the gas station, I see no reason to pay an additional $20+ to filter fuel one more time.

The only use I can come up with is to filter the kerosene I use to cleaning my motorcycle chain, but all year I’ve used about a pint of the stuff and can buy a couple gallons for $20.

2. Chuck says:

Not.

I could see it IF you had a remote storage tank that could possibly have rust in it, water, etc. or maybe if you were traveling in your car in a 3rd world country, but not in the US. Your corner gas station filters the fuel between the tank and the pump, anyway. There’s usually a filter between the pump innards and the nozzle, too, depending on the station.

The same stuff you don’t want in your tank, the station doesn’t want in the pump.

3. dan says:

For what it is worth, I understand that the fuel in the us is much better managed then in many other countries. I once dreamt of sailing to foreign parts and most of the stuff I read strongly recommend filtering your fuel before it goes in to the tank.

4. ShopMonger says:

Actually Dan brings up a valid point..
    “My Splad” sails around the world and has a secondary filter that he uses before the deisel goes in the tank. However this is way to small for that but could be useful for the small engine on his Dory/ Tender/ Dingy.(small life raft with a 20hp outboard)

But over all NOT….. I agree with Chuck for demestic use it would be a waste….. Use it to buy more tools, or if you are really worried buy some fuel stablizer.

Another great reason we live in the best country in the world

5. FourMat says:

Well, it’s probably not necessary for lawn mowers, etc…but it’s a valuable tool for people who fly small airplanes. They use it as a last filter before the fuel goes into their tanks. Depending on the type of aircraft, some pilots mix a 50/50 ratio of regular fuel with the normal aircraft fuel. I went flying this summer with someone who build his own plane, and I was surprised to find out that the fuel we just bought at the local station had some level of water in it. Not a good thing to find out at 3000 feet.

6. David Bryan says:

I’ve never seen a clean gas can in use. They’ve always got something nasty in ’em. A lot of dirty gas gets sold, too, in the real world. You can’t fix many fuel-related problems for the price of this filter funnel, and it’s the kind of thing that’s mighty handy for putting gas in something in less-than-ideal, dirty conditions.

7. WolfCreek says:

Hot.

We use these at the golf course where I work. And when you’re talking about a $50,000 lawnmower you want the cleanest fuel possible.

8. Blind says:

The fuel coming out of the pump at the station might be clean, but after sticking it in a gas can and letting it sit in my garage for a week or three before it gets put in a high compression engine? I could see the value in another filter.

And considering that the shop I talked to the other day said that they’ve been seeing a lot of gummed up filters and pumps lately with recent gas issues, I definitly see value in another filter.

9. Nick says:

question being if filtering is good enough at the pump why does my truck have two fuel filters?! hot to me

10. Dr Bob says:

I don’t use funnels for filling fuel tanks – the picture shows why. The funnel prevents you from seeing how full the tank is, so you’re more likely to overflow it and spill.

11. Joe says:

Concept-hot, price-not. I use a cheaper (I think it was $10) funnel that I’ve seen for sale lots of places. It looks like a big measuring cup, with a lid, a screen in the bottom, a shut-off valve, and a (crappy) extension hose. It may not be a hi-tech filter, but it keeps the crap in the gas can (and it is there) out of the mower, etc. Especially the weedeater, which needs the carb taken apart and cleaned pretty often if I don’t filter the gas. You can also easily pop the screen out if you want to get more flow (for oil, etc.) or to clean it. The lid keeps the inside of the funnel clean while it’s hanging on the shop wall.

12. Lou says:

Hot–As mentioned, fuel cans sitting in our sheds collect condensation as well as a little dirt every time we open it. Overall cheap piece of mind.

@ Dr Bob—Good point but do you not see the fuel gage right below the funnel?

@ Joe—There are other funnels that have screens for debris but they do not prevent water from entering the tank such as this one does.

13. Dr Bob says:

Lou – oh, so that’s what that is… 😉

Seriously, none of my stuff has gas gauges except the ones with the float in the cap.

14. rjerryc says:

What comes out of the pump is well-filtered. The reason your vehicle has filters is because of crap that develops in the tank of the vehicle – rust and such. Additional filtering to put that fuel into a lawnmower or rototiller? I just keep my gas cans capped and have never found any foreign material in the can. Not only would I NOT pay $20 for this gimmick, I wouldn’t use it if they were giving them away free! Now maybe, if they had designed it with a float at the bottom of the funnel stem that would shut of the flow when the tank was full……

15. Brau says:

As I see it, it’s not about cleaning dirty gas, it’s about filling up in a dusty environment or from a gas can that’s been sitting long enough to become covered with debris. A funnel like this will definitely filter out anything that errantly falls into the funnel during the fill. Got someone else using a chainsaw upwind when you need to refill and this funnel could prove itself very useful. Many small engines do not employ decent filters and a small particle can easily plug their pinhole carbs.

16. Raelx says:

When I was a kid my dad would always have a wad of mom’s old pantyhose stuffed into the small bottom section of the funnel used for filling the mover. Worked great and it was free. Added bonus the low cost encourages you to replace it frequently.

17. ronald says:

we live in hawai and we have ethynal in our gas station and it breaks down everyones cars and small portable and motor cycle engines. i tested it today and it works the gas went through and the ethynol stayed behind i have pictures on face book.