Working outside in the winter, it’s hard enough dealing with the cold and the deep snow, and you don’t need the added pain of falling on your ass.  These MICROspikes from Kahtoola slip over your shoes or boots to give you traction on nearly any surface from ice and packed snow to concrete.

Depending on your shoe size, MICROspikes only add 9.8 to 14.4oz to the weight of each shoe or boot.   Just slip the correctly sized MICROspikes over your footwear — no buckles or straps are necessary.  The 3/8″ long stainless steel spikes connect to a tough elastomer shoe harness via dynamic stainless steel flex chain.

Kahtoola sells MICROspikes in four sizes, from extra small to large, that fit shoe sizes youth 1 to adult 14.  Depending on the size, you’ll pay $50 to $60 for a set of MICROspikes.

Microspikes [Kahtoola]
Street Pricing [Google Products]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

Tagged with:

7 Responses to Tire Chains For Your Shoes

1. cb says:

AKA crampons.

2. A military surplus place near me has some similar items for 12.95 a pair, 3/29.95. They look like they do the same job, pretty much. The microspikes look a bit more flexible though.

Linky—-> http://www.sarcoinc.com/miscellaneous.html#feat

Picture—> http://www.sarcoinc.com/images/new67.jpg

3. Robert says:

Those look snazzy. I’ve used Yaktrax, which are less aggressive, but also lighter and cheaper (~$20) and they are amazing: you can jog across a sheet of ice with complete confidence.

4. BG says:

I second the vote for Yaktrax, they are great without being dangerous to your shins or doggie’s feet. Crampons, which these look like, albeit a smaller version, have their place, but for everyday use in the winter Yaktrax can’t be beat. I especially think older folks who have to venture outside would benefit from them. I use them everyday in the winter walking my mutt.

5. Peter says:

My experience with Yaktrax is exactly the opposite of the above commenters’ — in my opinion, they are almost completely useless. I am amazed that they are still selling.

6. PutnamEco says:

Re:
    cb Says:
    AKA crampons.
    ——————
    Those are NOT crampons.

—–
    If you find yourself needing traction in slippery conditions often, I would suggest a pair of calked boots. I like Whites Rough Cut Logger (beware of imitations)

7. Kenneth Rozinek says:

The yaktracs are junk I have gone threw 2 pairs in about a week. The Wire breaks or the rubber that holds them together breakes!! I would like to find somthing thing for the shoes that is durable but not to agresive!!