The woodcrafting itch creeps up on you subtly, and it’s undetectable with the naked eye; but you can spot symptoms of the infection when wooden items crafted from scratch start appearing all over the house.  When I saw reader Beano_t’s flashlight holder, I thought, “That’s a great idea, and I could build it from scrap!”  Only then did I realize — we’re both infected.

It’s not a bad thing.  You can make all manner of cool doodads and household gear out of wood.  Sometimes it comes out looking great — but if you screw up, you just make it over.  Best of all, these little projects give you something to do when you get the itch to be in the shop.

Personally, I’m not seeing the downside here.  Of course, I wouldn’t see it even if there was one — that’s the nature of our affliction.

Toolmonger Photo Pool [Flickr]

6 Responses to The Woodcrafter’s Itch

1. Garry says:

The grain orientation is….bad; very high likelihood of the holder splitting in a sort amount of time.

Better would be 90 degree rotation of the grain; best would be a laminate-say, three pieces, each with the grain rotated 45 degrees; make it with two lams of maple and a center lam of a darker wood-walnut would be nice-and it would also be very attractive.

If you don’t consider grain orientation with your materials, you may end up tossing out a good idea-because the material will fail, leading to dissatisfaction with the design-when the real source of trouble is the material, rather than the design.

2. beano_t says:

Ha… Woodcrafters Itch… so true. I was looking for a quick shop project that left me with some instant build gratification.

True about the grain orientation… but as the article implied I made this from the scrap pile I had in the shop. I had a scrap piece of wood with a 3/4 inch dado in it and a scrap piece of pine and a vague idea of what I wanted.

But Gary is right, if I ran the grain the other way it would have been much stronger. Pine is not the strongest wood to begin with. Honestly I was more worried about the joint failure and was glad to find a dado’ed piece of wood I had left over from another project and glued and screwed it from behind to make an ultra tight and sturdy fit. I did not even have to change out the old table saw blade. I guess if it breaks its easy enough to re-create. So I hope it gives others some ideas, and then they can take it and run with it.

3. ShopMonger says:

SOOOOOOO true ….. the itch will get you……
    I get is weekly.
    I ahve to get in the shop to build some stupid little project each week so that I won’t go crazy. I use these also for “prototype” work.
    I feel bad for my wife because she had all of my major screw ups and other gets my final totally finished work.

4. ShopMonger says:

HAAHAAA HAAA

SOOOOOOO true ….. the itch will get you……
    I get is weekly.

5. KevinB says:

cool holder, my only question is with the placement. Looks like some nice trim work there, I surprised he was allowed to hang the flashlight there and not someplace more inconspicuous. This is guy decorating at it’s best where the MagLite is the focal point. I would frame it with some picture moulding, maybe add some puck lighting, to really make it pop.

6. beano_t says:

That nice trim work is in my shop. the only room get to decorate!