M-D Building Products’ SmartTool Level resembles your ordinary bubble level about as much as a refrigerator resembles a portable beverage cooler.  Their level digitally displays degrees, percent slope, and pitch — plus it can audibly report when it’s level or plumb, so you can keep your eyes on other aspects of the job.

The display readout flips over with the level, so it always reads right-side-up, and it shuts off automatically after six minutes of not being used.  A hold button will freeze the measurement on the display, so you don’t have to remember it.  Push-button field calibration keeps it accurate within 1/10 of a degree — you can perform the calibration on any reasonably level surface in a few minutes.

The display module separates from the level body with only a screwdriver or a coin, allowing it to function as a torpedo level.  The aluminum level body sports a pair of horizontal and vertical bubble vials so you can still use it without the display.

M-D Building Products sells the SmartTool display module separately or packaged with levels in lengths of 24″, 48″, or 96″.  They also sell a magnetic bracket so you can measure anything made of iron or steel hands-free .

The SmartTool display module runs about $100, and a 48″ level with the display module runs about $120.  M-D thoughtfully provides a 9V battery to power the module.

SmartTool [M-D Building Products]
Street Pricing [Google Products]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

Tagged with:

7 Responses to SmartTool Digital Level

1. Frank says:

The bubble in most levels is accurate to .02 – .05 degrees, So using this digial level will be less accurate than looking at your bubble.

2. Shawn says:

Anyone used these? I wonder how they compare to Sears’ house brand….

3. fred says:

For our plumbing runs we use checkpoint levels and slope pins.

4. PutnamEco says:

I like Stabila version very much, I don’t know how I survived with out one. It is one of those tools, like laser measures, that you don’t know how much you need one until you try going back to not having one.
    Toolmonger has featured the Stabila previously.

5. Shawn says:

I wonder about Frank’s comment about the bubble being accurate to .05…While i can see the bubble being more accurate, I sometimes struggle whether or not I’m looking at the bubble at the “just right” angle. It seems like there’s a pretty wide variation in terms of “glass” quality too.

Or, maybe I’m just not the sharpest tool in the shed and can’t read the bubble!

6. fred says:

Re PutnamEco Says:

I would expect no less from Stabila.

I also don’t know how I did job estimating before I had my Leica laser measure.

7. ShopMonger says:

Shawn Says:

I would agree, glass distortion, angle of view, ect will be more than .05 accuracy change.

I would take the digital any day any time…. your eyes can be fooled. ask david copperfield…….