If I told you to go over to the toolbox and hand me the Nail Jack, what would you look for?  Apparently, you’d look for something like the above image — it’s a new set of nail pullers that’ll be available in the first quarter of 2009.

Just a shade over a foot long, these pullers feature a curved bottom jaw that acts as a fulcrum to pull nails free.  The Nail Jack also sports grabbers and a long handle that’s angled upward to give you extra leverage.

We’re not sure how handy they’d be in day-to-day operations, but the basic design appears to be sound. The opening price point is $30 plus shipping, which seems a bit steep to me for a nail puller — but there aren’t that many runaway nails in the Toolmonger wood shop.

The Nail Jack [Official Site]

14 Responses to Preview: The Nail Jack

1. fred says:

I read that this is the company that says that they will take over the old Petersen (Vise Grip) factory in Nebraska which is going unused since Irwin (Newell-Rubbermaid) has decided to move all Vise Grip production to China.

2. david closs says:

I have a pair of diagonal cutters dedicated to this use- I flush-ground the back so it will grab nails, staples, tacks with only a tiny bit protruding.

Dave

3. Mike Foley says:

Hi guys! I am sending out a Nail Jack this week for a full test. The very first ones will be available tomorrow! (Talk about a brand new family of tools) Just let me know where to send it Sean, and let’s run this tool through the tests. I think you’ll see that there are a lot of features and characteristics of the Nail Jack, Nail Hunter and the soon to arrive Staple Jack that will make these a nice addition to the tool box or kitchen drawer. The Nail Hunter’s only 8.5 inches and designed for fine work, while the Staple Jack is for…well, staples! It will be 7 inches and easy to carry. How else could anyone more effectively or efficiently pull brads through the back of baseboard?

We welcome any comments, because we’re gonna keep improving!

4. Pruitt says:

We used to regularly use diagonals or line pliers to pull trim nail on through trim, rather than backing them out and damaging the surface. These look like they’d give a bit of needed leverage.

5. PutnamEco says:

My nail puller of choice would be Knipex caprenters pincer or Channel Locks 8″ end cutter. I’m also known for using a fencing tool.

If your going to test a nailpullers how about a shoot out, between the Nail Jack, the Nail Extractor, and a regular end cutter.

6. Zathrus says:

Mike, is the Tool Crib report about your company taking over the Vise-Grip plant correct?

hXXp://www.toolcrib.com/blog/2008/11/20/toolcribcom-exclusive-nail-jack-tools-inc-to-purchase-dewitt-vise-grip-factory/

7. KevinB says:

I coulda used that monster on a subfloor I was doing over couple of months ago. The heads kept popping off the nails as I ripped them up. It looks like it would be handy for stubborn staples as well.

8. David Bryan says:

I can’t really say ’til I get my hands on one, but this thing doesn’t tempt me enough to see it as such a great improvement over a pair of angle-headed dikes, or end nippers. I’m amazed by how many people don’t know you can pull a stuck nail with a framing hammer a lot easier by pushing sideways on the handle than by losing all that leverage pulling in line with the claw. I get a little misty looking at the Nail Extractor, but I’m not likely to buy one of them without petting it first either.
    I thought when a company moved production overseas they didn’t leave much usable equipment behind.

9. bob says:

search nail jack on youtube

10. Sean,

I’m sorry! Did you ever send me your mailing address? I’m ready to send the Nail Jack over for a world class nail pulling shootout! Let’s do this thing!

11. The simple fact is that the “built in fulcrum” design allows for much more leverage (tight spaces or not) and the “hammer tap” on the back allows you to dig. We’ve had people even question the validity of the youtube videos because when we’re pulling brads through the back of the baseboard, they think we’re quickly and effortlessly pulling some skinny nails out that have been pounded in a quarter inch. Ultimately guys, it’s just a family of nail, staple and brad pullers, and we’re not trying to act like we’ve cured cancer, but we have solved nail pulling. The roofing biz loves it because it offers a heck of a lot more “one hand use” scenarios than any other puller ever. And it DIGS and GRABS…both. Even though our new designs will be even better…Let’s rock!

12. Trevor Mecham says:

Have any of you taken a look at the Nail Jack in action on Youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_1UZUIU440)?

I would like to see a pair of of nipper, angle headed dikes, or carpenters pincers do what this thing can do. Where is the leverage for other tools compared to this? What if you don’t have a head to pull from? How do you dig? I have used my fair share of hand tools and believe this will be the best extraction tool ever!

13. David Bryan says:

Have you taken a look at Baman Piderman on youtube? I’d like to be able to fall off a table like that.

14. Brian Hayes says:

These are no joke. Both the fulcrum and pinch do the job. The “dig” works. The tool has the heft to get under the nail head and grab the shank. There’s very little fiddling around. Speed is the thing, because it’s easy to work fast from one nail to another, with far less muscle, less exhaustion; less risk of injury too. Less material damage, less debris all around. Well enough made to grab wire and any penny nails. Worth every dime I think. Dynamite for staples. The anvil was useful too when I struck the jaws into a headless framing nail. Pulled screws easily because the pressure can be controlled. I guess they need to be used to see how this new tool works. Not a novelty, but a truly new hand tool.