Join us as we run down this week’s top five, wonder how GM’s fate will affect Toolmongers in need of trucks, and discuss Sean’s shop rules. Remember, if you’ve got a question or comment you can call us at 866-718-9403. (Podcast Download)

7 Responses to Tool Talk #44: Shop Rules

1. kif says:

I completely don’t get it as far as the issue about GM and trucks go. As far as I know, Toyota builds a full size. GM is going to screw its autoworkers one way or another and the management deserves to starve as far as I’m concerned. Anybody who has watched the way GM has been doing business should be disgusted.

Why are they spending so much effort on bringing back the Camaro in a retro design?

Why did they put so much hype in corn ethanol when most people pegged it as a loser right off the bat?

Why do they think they need a crash test exemption to bring small cars to market when the foreign automakers can and have been doing it for decades.

And, If you want to make this a patriotic issue, why should the middle class taxpayer have to open the wallet and tighten the belt so that Bob Lutz, the guy with ideas such as the Camaro and the crummy Pontiac sports car, get paid like this: http://people.forbes.com/profile/robert-a-lutz/36264

Whining about your GM truck and its warranty is like complaining about HF tool quality. What do you expect, the handwriting on the wall for GM has been there for years! If you’re stupid enough to plunk 30K on something from a company with one foot in the grave you get what you deserve!

2. Old Coot says:

What kif said. GM’s executives are paid genormous amounts of money and they can’t figure out what Toyota, et al, are doing right? And now they want me to dig deeper into my wallet and bail their sorry butts out?

3. tooldork says:

Auto refresh killed the broadcast.

BTW – Sean, I followed your directions for the Danish oil and I popped the top and shook it real well, but it made one hell of a mess. Maybe I should have shook it and then popped the top. Not sure though.

4. kif says:

Something to consider for toolmongers: One person aggressively pursuing a taxpayer bail out is Chrysler CEO Bob Nardelli, the man who transformed Home Depot from what it was to what it is today. HD couldn’t get rid of him fast enough, but Chrysler wanted him. These are the people we should keep in business?

5. Barry says:

I don’t get the big deal about “trucks” sold by the “Big 3”, either.

I’m in the Northeast, where not as many contractors use pickups and vans from the “Big 3”. When I look around I commonly see:

Millwork / cabinet woodworkers: Mitsu / Hino / Izuzu / Chevy (Izuzu) diesel box trucks with 14′ boxes

Plumbers: Same truck as above, with a utility body or a Sprinter

HVAC: Same truck as above, with a utility body or a Sprinter

Electricians: Just like the HVAC folks…

Handymen: Same truck as the HVAC folks, or a Sprinter

Landscapers: Mitsu / Hino / Izuzu / Chevy (Izuzu) diesel dumps, usually 4×4. These things have fantastic maneuverability for plowing, too.

Finish carpenters: Sprinters, or V6 or T100’s and Tacomas with 12-16′ trailers. Some of the Tacomas are 10+ years old, and far from used up. The current 4000+ pound Tacoma can tow an honest 6500 pounds with the V6.

Carpet and Flooring guys: Sprinters or “bread trucks”

I also see many, many, Tundras and Titans, even a few T100’s.

Many of the big three pickups I see on jobs are often fleet owned, like the gas, phone, CATV, or power companies. Many of the older “American” pickups and vans were bought used to start with, cheap!

The bottom line is that workfolk who have explored other options have already seen the advantages. Seen a Ford or Chevy HiCube van lately? Me either… The small, imported 6 wheel box trucks and Sprinter stole that market years ago.

Love the Podcast!

6. Scott V. says:

You guys mentioned in the last podcast that tradesmen are typically looking for a new truck after 100,000 miles or so. Why?? Cars and trucks today should be capable of a 200K service life, and many are. My wife and I have put over 500,000 total miles on the last three vehicles we’ve owned. One of those was retired at 175,000 only because of an accident, and the third still has 2-3 years of life left in it. None of the three were domestic products, unfortunately. Why are US manufacturers building 100K cars in a 200K mile world? How’s that planned obsolescence thang working out for them now?

7. Scott V. says:

My shop rules are generally about shop organization…
    1) Put stuff in the same place every time so you don’t have to waste time looking for it.
    2) Store similar items together, like with like. Same objective as #1.
    3) If you touch it, and it’s trash, throw it away.
    4) The only things touching the floor and not bolted down should be wheels. Lawnmower wheels, bicycle wheels, car wheels, the wheels on my compressor, and casters are all OK. With wheels, everything can be moved around to clean up and to make space to work. I’ve never fully realized this lofty goal — nor numbers 1-3 above — but I keep trying.