hot-or-not4.jpg

We’ve all heard a variation on the phrase, “as useful as a solar-powered flashlight,” yet many manufacturers offer flashlights that recharge via a solar panel.  Daylight Savings sells this solar flashlight for $25 — it’s just one example of dozens of solar rechargeable flashlights on the market.

Daylight Savings slaps a 0.45W solar panel on this aluminum-alloy flashlight.  The solar panel recharges the batteries in eight hours, giving you up to five hours of light with the battery fully charged.

We’d like to know what you think.  Would you buy one of these flashlights, or are they as much folly as a screen door on a submarine?  Let us know in the comments.

Solar Flashlight [Daylight Savings]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

10 Responses to Hot or Not? Solar-Powered Flashlights

1. Mark says:

Remember when Toolmonger wrote about the tank tool? It’s being sold on ebay now…http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130268054965

2. Shopmonger says:

Solar Powered flashlight, screen door on a submarine, and Ejection seat for a helicopter.

All old polish jokes…..

Now two of them are real………

But i would Say NOT,

The reason i, most times you need a emergency flashlight you have stored it in a drawer, or your closet, or a glove box, non of these places have a source to charge the light.
    Now for home inspectors, bug inspectors maybe because you would just mount it on the dash or near a window….

But for the general use of a light…….NOT so hot

3. argosytech says:

I’ll have to agree with Shopmonger… a solar light doesn’t seem like a feasible solution for emergency situations unless it’s packed in a survival kit. Day-to-day usage for someone who needs a flashlight and has access to that big ole ball of power in the sky to recharge it… Yeah. I guess it would depend on how they market it. I don’t see me buying one.

Now a helicopter ejection seat… I want one in my living room!

4. Lee says:

I’ve collected a few solar gizmos including a Freeplay Eyemax and AA battery charger. Solar panels need -direct- sunlight. A big problem in my north-facing apartment is that I get 0 hours of direct sunlight per day in my windows. Unless you put the solar gizmo directly on the window sill of your south facing window, it will take several days to get the charge you think it should.

Aesthetically, window sills often aren’t the best place to put such utilitarian items.
    These gizmos can work great where there is no electricity (cabin in the woods), during a long duration emergency (earthquake) , or where aesthetics isn’t an issue (a tool shed). Aside from those considerations, wall outlets are a better choice than solar.

5. Dave B says:

Not!

Like all the comments above talk about storing your light in a drawer or a toolbox or a glovebox etc. The better solution for an emergency flashlight would be a hand powered flashlight.

However,
    I think if you leave it in the sun all day it would definitely get hot! lol

6. Uthor says:

Not. I have two flashlights in my car and three in my apartment. None of them get direct sunlight and I only need them if the power goes out at night and I need to get around.

7. Uthor says:

Oh, and one stored on my bike. I knew I was forgetting something.

8. Shopmonger says:

I think that Hand powered would be the best

9. David Bryan says:

I’ve got some solar-charged flashlights and I like ’em just fine. I’d recommend them to all you cheap so-and-so’s like me.

10. Josh says:

I like the idea, but….the car mount is a good idea but do solar panels work on the same principal as self darkening lenses. My glasses wouldn’t darken in the car because of the filtering of car glass, so would solar panels work inside a car?
    It could be useful if it’s made for mounting outside your house or on the outside of a boat etc. Granted, you’d have to find your way outside of the house in the dark to get your flashlight, but it’d be charged.