We’ve posted about add-on miter saw lasers that only show you one side of the blade.  Usually, if they’re off, they don’t offer any way to adjust the beam and can even cause the blade to wobble.  The blade also has to be spinning to activate the laser, and the blade guard blocks the beam until you start lowering the saw.  By mounting the Laserkerf II to the saw and not the arbor, you can eliminate all these problems.

The Laserkerf II illuminates the entire width of the blade, showing you exactly what material the blade will remove.  Because the Laserkerf isn’t mounted with the blade, it can’t cause your blade to vibrate; the saw guard doesn’t have to be open to see the entire beam; and the beam is adjustable so you can dial it in to your setup exactly.

Powered by two AA batteries or through a 6′ detachable wall cord, the Laserkerf mounts to a large number of miter and radial arm saws using custom brackets or wedges.  The website shows an exhaustive list of what saws will work with the Laserkerf and what installation bracket to buy.

The Laserkerf II comes in two models.  Use model 100 if your saw sports a thin kerf blade — 0.092″ to 0.109″ wide.  For a standard 1/8″ kerf blade you want the model 125.

Looks like street pricing for the Laserkerf II runs about $80, but if you buy one through the Laserkerf website you’ll only pay about $60 with $7 shipping and handling.

Laserkerf II [Corporate Site]
Street Pricing [Google Products]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

9 Responses to Laserkerf II: A Better Miter Saw Guide

1. Rob Retter says:

I bought the LaserKerf I. It lasted exactly a month before falling apart (literally just dropping off into pieces). It was junk. Beware of this product.

2. akbar fazil says:

Do lasers like this really save you that much time? I’ve been using miter saws for years and have never had a problem of measuring/marking my cut, putting it on the saw, lowering the blade, adjust wood and cut.

I haven’t yet bought a tool that came with one but I know if one ever did it would be the first thing to come off.

3. Jim German says:

I’d love to have one of these if it worked well, but I’ve yet to see oen that actualy does. They all seem to take more time aligning and messing with than they save.

4. fred says:

None of my guys have told me that they must have one – or that having one would save a lot of time.

5. Dave B. says:

On our work site we have a 12″ miter that is not a slider and cutting some of the exterior trim for a 45° you have to make your cut and then flip the piece over to finish this would help line up for the second cut.

6. Eli says:

Kapex, kap kap kappity kaperoonie kapex. Kapexii, kapexorum, kapexum. Kap kapera kapex. kap kappity kapper kapex.

7. Shopmonger says:

I have one of the IRWIN laser guids and I love it.. For quick work this works really well……

For fine finishing once oyu have used it you can make dead on accurate cuts……

8. TL says:

I bought Dad one of these for father’s day a few years ago, he loves it. Far better than the washer replacements on the side of the saw.