hot-or-not4.jpg

Fall’s here, and the leaves just keep dropping.  Too bad the trees don’t drop their leaves all at the same time — no, to keep your yard clean you’ll have to rake many times before fall’s over.  Plus, if you have trees like red oaks that hold onto their leaves over the winter, you’ll be out there raking in the spring several times, too.  All this raking takes away valuable shop time.  Would something like this $150 lawn sweeper from Agri-Fab make the work go faster?

This particular lawn sweeper cleans a 26″ swath and collects up to 7 cubic feet of dry leaves/debris in its replaceable vinyl hopper — unfortunately, it won’t work very well with soggy leaves.  With its zinc-plated steel frame and polypropylene housing, the 52-1/2″ x 31″ x 33″ sweeper weighs in at 25 pounds.

Is a lawn sweeper the answer for keeping your yard clean in the fall, or will it just sit in the garage gathering dust?  Let us know your experiences in comments.

Lawn Sweeper [Agri-Fab]
Street Pricing
[Google Products]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

15 Responses to Hot or Not? Lawn Sweepers

1. Bill says:

Hot, I can’t speak for the push kind, but the one I tow behind my lawn tractor is the envy of my neighbors. Picks up everything from pinecones to pine needles, very good for fall cleanup if you use a mulching deck as you pull the sweeper behind. Not good for use as a grass catcher. They can be a little finicky on setup, if you have a very uneven lawn you might have missed spots. The only downside on mine is the lack of traction with the hard tires, they tend to slip/drag if you don’t set the height correctly or when the hopper is very full.

2. fred says:

When I was a kid, my dad got one of these (I think it was branded “Parker”) using Green Stamps. It quickly became my job to push the beast – which did a good job – but gave you a workout.

3. beano_t says:

We have the pull behind… works awesome… and a must if you have big trees and over an acre.

but the neighbors will be wanting to borrow it, that is for sure.

4. FourMat says:

I also have the pull behind version for a lawn tractor and I think they are pretty good, but not for the typical uses.

For leaves, I have to make way too many trips back and forth to the central dump pile because it fills up so fast. But I have used it and it’s better than a rake. It’s much faster and more thorough to get a big push leaf blower.

BUT! I *hate* cleaning up hedge trimmings after I trim my bushes. So I just fling everything into the middle of the yard and run over it with the sweeper. The small branches are pulled up by the sweeper really well. It makes quick work of that job and leaved a much cleaner lawn than other methods of trimmings removal.

Now, I had a pine tree that died over my gravel driveway, and it dropped all of it’s needles. When it would rain, the needles would pile up and direct the water away from the normal path and flood my garage. I couldn’t find anything I could use to get rid of them because they were so small, and everything else from blowers to rakes would just push around the gravel. I used the sweeper to “sift” the driveway and it worked pretty well. Yeah, I got some gravel in the chute, but it really wasn’t that bad.

5. Toolhearty says:

These (the puch kind) have been around for eons. If they worked that well, everyone would have one. I didn’t mind the workout one would get from pushing the thing around, but the frequent emptying was a hassle.

I prefer raking, actually rather enjoy it. I just have to get out there early before the roar (okay, loud whine) of the 2-stroke leaf blowers begins.

6. Chris says:

We used to use one, but we sold it a few years back at a garage sale. I don’t really miss it a whole lot, but I have looked at a few more modern ones (ours was *ancient*) and I have to say they really don’t build them like they used to. Our old one was a tank, and about as heavy, but it ran through anything. You could make a 3″ thick layer of leaves disappear in two passes most of the time. The hopper was enormous, too; it would pick up at least two garbage bags’ worth of leaves before it needed to be emptied.

cl

7. Shopmonger says:

HHHHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTTTTTTTTTT
    I love these. I have the pull type for my tractor and it rocks.
    I use the mulch setting and it is fatnastic. yes you have to dump it, but way better than raking or blowing….

I have 40 trees and 10 of them “hover” over my lawn…. great for shade….bad for leaves.

in repsonse to if they were good everyone would have one….

if everyone used one they would have one…

8. Zathrus says:

Look guys, these are not the same as the ones you pull behind your tractor. I’m sure those rock. But if you don’t have a tractor (e.g. — most people), then you can’t “use one”.

The push ones are drastically different and look like they suck. And not in a good way. I’ll stick with my Toro leaf blower/mulcher.

9. rjerryc says:

Tried various brands/versions of these push things. More of a waste of time in my opinion. Even slightly damp leaves lay so low they just stay there unless you make repeated passes. They do not hold much and if the leaves are damp, the weight makes these things worthless. Zathrus has the right idea – Toro blower/mulcher. Works great and works fast!

10. Shopmonger says:

Actually they are almost exactly the same…… except the handles….

11. Zathrus says:

Yes, they’re almost exactly the same.

Except for the handles.

And the mulching.

And capacity.

Oh, yeah, and the thing that attaches to the handles — one being a human at about .1 HP and the other being a riding lawn mower at 10-30 HP.

Exactly the same.

12. Reel Men don't use gas says:

More of a question than a comment; looks like those who know might peruse this site.

I have small yard, went ‘green’ last year with a Brill mower and complemented that with an inexpensive push sweeper (it’s helpful to sweep up loose twigs so as not to jam up a reel mower).

Problem is, that the sweeper was so cheap & I use it so much, that it’s quickly suffering faitigue & falling apart.

Are any of these pull-behinds ‘pull-able’ by a person – or are they so heavy that it’s not a possibility…and I should plan on wearing out a sweepr every few seasons.

13. William says:

I have a Husky yard sweeper that all of a sudden stopped rolling. I can’t figure it out. It worked fine last year. It will roll backwards just fine. Any thoughts?

14. Challison Mains says:

I have a Husky yard sweeper too. Mine works in both the forwards and backwards directions. Did you try pushing it? I stopped using it in the backwards position since I find that when I roll backwards it puts my grass clippings and leaves back on my lawn.