At first glance, Greenlee’s CableCaster looks like someone slapped a fishing reel on a toy dart gun — that may be exactly what they did, but the $100 list price is no joke.  The CableCaster allows you to pull cable through hard-to-reach spaces, like above a suspended ceiling or through a crawlspace.

Pull the trigger and the CableCaster launches a dart dragging monofilament line up to 50′.  Attach your cable to the dart, and retrieve it with the fishing reel.

The gun is yellow and the darts glow in the dark so you can find them easier — at least that’s what Greenlee claims.  To better illuminate your target, the top-mounted flashlight holder accepts a mini Maglight.

The price of the CableCaster and three darts varies widely, from $50 to $100.  Shop wisely.

CableCaster [Greenlee]
Street Pricing
[Google Products]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

17 Responses to Fishing With A Dart Gun

1. Steve says:

I just tie a string to my cat’s leg and put a dish of tuna at the other end. Everybody wins!

-Steve

2. Daniel says:

I’ve always thought that things like this:

Used to train bird dogs would be nice at long distance cable runs. A .22 caliber blank cartridge packs more punch than a spring anyway.

3. Mark says:

When I ran wire for a living, we used a small pistol cross bow to shoot a lead line across dropped ceilings.

4. John Laur says:

I have one of these; it works, but it’s inconsistent. You miss your target more than you make it, and the darts can hang during pull-back. You have to be careful how you tie your monofilament onto them. Still its handy in a LOT of circumstances. You also need to replace the stock line in it with something heavier and NOT CLEAR. They have fluorescent monofilament that works pretty well. And also the glow in the dark on the darts is a joke. I have a little LED blinky thing that fits in the eyelet that works much better when the thing buries itself in fiberglass.

5. Toolaremia says:

Hey, it lists for $70. I know because I set up the SKU in our system when we started carrying it over a decade ago. B2b pricing should be right around $60.

I set this up as soon as I saw it because just a couple years before in college I had been making beer and book money stringing RG-58 coax for Ethernet all over a couple of big office buildings. I would have killed for the Cable Caster…

6. Toolaremia:

I’m sure you’re right about it listing for $70. I saw some places charging $90 to $100 and assumed the list price was around there. Who charges that much above list? Sheesh.

Sorry, I should know better. You know what they say about assuming…

7. j says:

we had an RC car for these kinda jobs, in fact a Bigfoot truck with headlights. there are those sticks that thread together with a basket on the end, too

8. David Bryan says:

A golfball on a string works, a slingshot works, there are all kinds of toy rockets and such at American Scientific and Surplus that’ll work. Labor Saving Devices has a tool like this with a slingshot called the Sling-A-Line. I did the cat thing once and my cat was more curious than hungry and it didn’t go real well. There are some great old books in the American Electrician’s Library by Terrell Croft, like “Wiring of Finished Buildings”, that have some really interesting fishing techniques. Just don’t be embarrassed to try something unconventional. Most commercially available tools for this kind of job are adaptations of some goofy idea somebody had that worked.

9. David Bryan says:

Wow. Right over there, Ads by Google: Finger Rockets at http://www.buckets-o-fun.com. Those work.

10. Shopmonger says:

This looks like a great idea.
    However, it seems, that conpressed air would be much more stable and consistant.. actually i should say it will be more adjustable. In fact with all of the paintball technology i bet this would be easy. i am going to wokr on that this weekend so that my paintball gun will use a compressor and then just make a ballistic ball with a string attached. Very adjustable…..

11. Mr. Man says:

I tried (two) of these when they came out a few years ago. The dart needs quite an arch to travel any kind of useful distance. The heavy trigger pull made controllable shots difficult at best. A few shots later, each unit stopped working when the gearing jammed or line tangled (rendering both completely useless and unrepairable). Subsequently, before returning them to the store, I spend more time getting these little jewels back into the packaging than I spent on the entire wiring job.

12. Shopmonger says:

Another improvement will be to use a real with a open spool and a bail.

13. fred says:

I’ve seen my electrician subs using fiberglass rods that come in sections and screw together to give you distance.

14. Wayne D. says:

I used to use a slingshot with a reel duct-taped to it, and a lead fishing weight tied to the line. Once you get good enough with it, you can fire through about 20 yards of girder easily.

15. Fritz Gorbach says:

Get the greenlee fish poles – three or six foot sections with various ends. These are one of the best tools I have ever used. Above ceilings I rarely find a straight and clear path where I could shoot or cast anything. The poles are one of my favorite tools hands down. Work over ceilings, through walls, under floors, etc. Combined with the six foot flexible drill bit and guide, and a chinese fingertrap type cable grip, you can push or pull almost anywhere.

16. Paul says:

Fifteen years ago, when I was a computer tech working on Wall Street and out in the field, I used a hand held crossbow with silk trail line to pull cable. I used it over drop ceilings and over garages. Everyone laughed at me until one or two day jobs took me less than two hours.

One of my bosses, when faced with a long cable run over drop ceilings, used a remote control 4×4 with a trail line and ran it above the tiles over all the offices.

17. j0vian says:

I use a long blow dart gun with fishing line to pull a small rope. Then I reel the rope in using a dropcord reel and the the cabling follows behind,