If you want to know about a Toolmonger, go take a look at their workbench.  You’ll find as many solutions to how to set up a workbench as there are people who use them — no two are exactly alike.  To prove it, we gathered up a few examples of what happens when folks gear up for bench-style combat.

1.  Rescue 1 FDNY Workbench. Firemen are always cobbling things together and fixing their gear.  They need to be well-stocked so they can fix their equipment fast -– their lives depend on it.

Read on past the jump for more work benches.

2.  Homes 4 Today Bench. Here’s a great sketch of the classic old-style workbench.  Note that despite its old-school design there are still power tools in the bottom.

pages: 1 2 3 4

11 Responses to Workbenches: A Look At Five Styles

1. steve says:

I would expect that less work is done in #3 Peter Spiritos Workbench then in #5 Kim Taylor’s work area.

It just too neat, looks like a demonstration shop. “I got everything”

2. Toolhearty says:

In the FDNY bench photo…

Bad: Unsecured gas bottles on the floor to the far right.
    Good: Battery-powered tool holders in the upper left made out of what appears to be PVC pipe.

3. forlerm says:

best i have seen for a while

4. DJMoore says:

Toolhearty:

Look again: those gas bottles are not only secured by a heavy chain, they’re up on a pedestal (I confess I don’t know why, except maybe to make them easier to get to over the grinders.)

5. DJMoore says:

Ack, never mind: the oxy bottles on the right are indeed unsecured.

6. FredBoness says:

Take a stroll through the Workshops ETC group on Flickr. Neat stuff from working folk around the world.

7. Scott says:

In defense of firefighters, familiarity breeds a casual attitude in them, just as it does for the rest of us.

I worked with fire fighters for years. On my first day on the job I was driving from station to station introducing myself. At the second station I visited, as I exited the car, I saw a fire fighter hunch over an oxygen bottle, open the valve, take a deep breath or two, raise up, and close the valve. This was memorable because the fellow nonchalantly held a cigarette with a half inch of glowing ash while doing this. It just seemed so wrong.

The thought of moving my car further back to avoid the blast crossed my mind. As I opened the door, I looked across the car to a battalion chief who was accompanying me. His face showed no sign of concern. Figuring he knew more than I did, I said nothing. Only later did it occur to me that the firefighter had probably done whatever inspection he was engaged in many many times and was well practiced. He’d survived this long.

Still, it just seems wrong.

8. John says:

Personally I’d find that sword way cooler knowing it was made using Kim’s workbench than if had been made in a huge, perfectly-equipped shop. I like the underdog.

9. jake says:

Number 3 needs more oilcans

10. Ron says:

Re: Scott
    I’d be more concerned about the grade of oxygen your fireman was huffing.
    The cigarette shouldn’t worry you. Oxygen is an oxidizer, it doesn’t burn, it doesn’t explode. It makes other things burn and/or explode. I don’t think the cigarette would make that big a bang.

11. Patrick says:

Every since relocating that B&D’s been my one stop shopbench. I love it.

But I wouldn’t kick that monstrous assembly area outta bed if it farted.