A single-size tool beats an adjustable tool hands-down most of the time — but that doesn’t mean there’s no place for the adjustable tool.  For instance, if you owned this $30 adjustable bit from Irwin, you could save yourself some money by just buying the sizes you need and using this one for those rare times you need another odd size.

Irwin’s adjustable wood bit can cut holes in 1/8″ increments from 7/8″ to 3″.  You attach one cutter to bore holes from 7/8″ to 1-3/4″ and the other cutter for holes from 1-3/4″ to 3″.  Simply loosen the lockhead screw to adjust your hole size or change cutters.

With its slow-feed screw point, the 6-1/2″-long drop-forged bit powers through most types of wood.  Irwin designed the 11/32″ shank with three equally spaced flats to line up with three-jawed chucks.

Be careful if you buy this product from Amazon — they seem to have mixed this product up with another one.  They picture the bit with three cutters instead of two, and they also make the same mistake at one point in their writeup.

Adjustable Wood Bit [Irwin]
Street Pricing
[Google Products]Via Amazon [What’s This?]

6 Responses to Irwin’s Adjustable Wood Bit

1. David P. says:

or keep this joker in the “punch out” bag, so when you suddenly realize you need the paddle bits that are back in the shop, you don’t have to run out to the Depot and buy a whole set.

2. Dan says:

I have one of these with the tapered end for use with a brace, the ultimate cordless.

3. Gary says:

Yep, I’ve got one for a brace too. You can pick them up for $5 on the bay.

4. ShopMonger says:

Yeah it seems like the best emergency bit you could have …..
    like in your glove box …… JIC…

Great find I may have ot go Buy one

5. Fritz Gorbach says:

got one for the brace also, but no cutter that will take it to three inches. How well does this work for holes that large? I always thought paddle bits too be less effective as you get bigger. Anyway, I may have to get one of these also.

6. Gary says:

Personally, any time I’ve used a brace and any kind of bit to drill 2″ holes or larger I’ve found it to be a fair amount of work. Makes me appreciate the guys that were doing this routinely 70 years ago.