Cut laminate flooring up to 12mm (1/2″) quietly and dust-free with D-Cut’s model LC-160 laminate flooring cutter.  Besides cutting 6″, 12″, or 18″ pieces to length, you can rip pieces lengthwise, make notches or L-cuts, and even cut diagonally.

There’s no limit to how long you can make a cut.  You start by making a cut the full width of the blade, reposition the piece, and keep making cuts until you’re done — almost like using a giant scissors. After you’re done for the day, there’s virtually no maintenance to perform.

The whole cutter measures 25″ x 6.3″ x 2.8″ and weighs just 7.3lbs.  D-Cut includes a cutting-length stopper and a steel stand to support long pieces with the LC-160.

You’ll pay about $60 for this tool, which isn’t bad considering what you probably paid to replace the blade in your table saw last time you used it to cut laminate flooring.

Laminate Cutter [D-Cut]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

8 Responses to Giant Laminate-Floor-Cutting Scissors

1. joelfinkle says:

Would this thing also work on backerboards like Hardibacker? It says to use “shears” but never power tools, given the silicate and fiberglass dust hazards. I’ve ruined many a blade on these trying to make inside corners and cuts that can’t be done with a simple score-n-snap.

2. Old Coot says:

I’d sure like some user reviews on this (none yet at Amazon). I’ve got several thousand square feet of laminate to install this winter and since I won’t saw it indoors due to the talcum-powder like dust, it means setting up outside under a tarp on rainy days. If this gadget works, it would be worth every penny of it’s price. I’ll be watching.

3. BC says:

joelfinkle: it would depend on the blade — hardibacker is notoriously hard on blades, so I’d want to see the blade made out of some pretty hard stuff before I expect it to last any length of time on hardibacker.

4. Pencilneck says:

Looks like a great way to loose a finger or two.

5. Davo says:

I did a Pergo installation, several years back, and can tell you that stuff wears out saw blades fast. Most of those flooring products are really hard, and I would have to see a cutter like this in action, to quite believe it…

6. Davo says:

Heh…I just watched the demo video, at the product page…I thought the guy was going to lose a thumb!

7. fred says:

This looks a bit like the Shingle Sharks we use to cut roof shingles – which is a whole different issue.

We do a lot of flooring and have dedicated 2 older Delta Sidekick compound miter saws to this task. This Delta 6-1/2 inch saw is no longer in production and the original 40 tooth ATB carbide blades are also impossible to find – but we’ve switched them out to Freud TK301’s which are also 40 tooth design. I don’t recall – but we may have to reverse-mount the Freud blades. The Delta Sidekick saws were not terribly good as compound miter saws – especially compared to our newer Bosch and even-newer Makita saws – but they work great on relatively thin and wide stock like flooring. The Pergo product does wear out blades – perhaps because they incorporate some abrasive material in their “wear-layer” to provide extra longevity to their surface finish. If you are going to install lots of this product – you just have to get over it and watch your blades for signs of wear and keep replacements handy.

In a pinch, we do cut laminate flooring on our Bosch and Makita 12 inch saws using a 72 or 96 inch Freud laminate blade – but since I hold the purse strings – I much prefer to replace a $20 Freud TK301 on the Sidekick saw than a $100 blade that we use mostly to cut melamine.

8. Jason Bourne says:

And, I second the books things. I hate books treated as decor. One solution a friend of mine tried was to buy lots of sheets of the same color paper to cover the books with. He laser printed simple titles onto the same color paper and glued it onto the spines for identification. It looks beautiful AND its functional.