Growing up, I came to the conclusion that duct tape wasn’t just adhesive tape — it was more like a secret substance that ninjas used to hold the universe together.  Little did I know that my Kung Fu wasn’t strong enough to handle the heavy guns, like this three-foot roll.  Reader Simple Simon caught this roll in a rare moment, out in the open where mortals could see it.

We’re guessing this is used for keeping lots of cables from popping up and tripping people — the background looks like they’re setting up for a show of some kind.  Its real purpose could also be wrapping up the bodies that the tool ninjas had to dispose of for gazing upon the mystic three-foot roll.  We fear for Simple Simon’s safety.

Toolmonger Photo Pool [Flickr]

12 Responses to Flickr Pool: Three-Foot Duct Tape Roll

1. Jeff says:

That is the picture of the grand master of Duct Tape himself…… Red Green. Another great Canadian tool user from way back 🙂

his site: http://www.redgreen.com/

cheers
    Jeff

2. Toolaremia says:

I’m sure it’s a prop for Red Green.

All duct tape starts this way (gasp!). A single large roll is made as wide as is practical, then the roll is cut into smaller rolls of various widths. Standard manufacturing practice. So simply grab a monster roll before it is cut into little rolls.

3. Josh says:

Yep. I wasn’t terribly surprised to see him behind this awesomeness. They probably used the super duct tape for a project like this:

4. austin says:

I can’t believe you don’t know who Red Green is! Are you that young? or just sheltered? Duct tape is “The handyman’s secret weapon”.

5. austin says:

Oh and by the way – to stick down cables and such backstage they use ‘gaffers’ tape. It is a colored cloth tape (usually black) – similar to duct tape but less agressive, and doesn’t leave behind as much residue. It’s great stuff, but a bit more expensive.

6. Wesley says:

Yeah Red Green, you guys should have to turn in your tool belt for not getting that!

7. Sean O'Hara says:

LOL, for the record I’ve seen the show but this isn’t in the Possum lodge shop. It’ looks like they are setting up for a live show of some kind.

His lessons on Transmission repair – about 12 years ago – had me rolling then and still today. When I was ten I thought this was a real How-to show. I was amazed he did it the same way dad did. It wasn’t till a few years later I found out that’s not good. 😉

8. Simple Simon says:

This is from a recent Red Green program.

We once had a “Jumbo” roll sent to us from 3M’s factory – it required a forklift to move it around and it took all of us in the shop to pull a section of tape from the roll.

Here is a video we did on how Duct Tape is made: http://bit.ly/1o7xHD

Simon

9. Leaf says:

Red Green tours the duct tape factory:

10. Fred B says:

One of the BORG (orange or blue) stores had one foot wide duct tape at one time, last time I saw it, they were on clearence.

11. bobk says:

“If women don’t find you handsome, they should at least find you handy!”

bobk