hot-or-not4.jpg

It could be that after the second season of Ice Road Truckers and Ax Men, I’m a bit burned on the whole tough-guy-drama type of show.  However, I don’t think that’s the case.  I still await the next season of Ax Men with enthusiasm, and for some reason I like Ice Road.  But Sandhogs just isn’t cutting it for me, no pun intended.

Perhaps it’s that I have no desire whatsoever to be underground. These guys are closed in and surrounded by rock, choking levels of dust and debris, not to mention other tough, smelly dudes just as cranky as they themselves are.  There’s no upside here.  I have respect for the guys — all of them are 1,000 times tougher than I am — but little interest in the show.

What do you think?  Have I finally met my personal sissy-boy level and copped out, or is this one just not as good as some of the others?  Let us know in comments.

Sandhogs [History]

9 Responses to Hot or Not? History Channel’s Sandhogs

1. Bart'sDad says:

I have to agree. These guys are hard core, no doubt, but I just can’t connect.I’m not sure if its the New York thing or what. I know the scenery on Ice Road and Ax Men is much better, all Sandhogs shows is dirt and NYC.

2. DJFelix says:

I have to agree as well. I added it to the DVR, but after two episodes, I killed it. It’s interesting … I’d like to see Mike Rowe hang out with these guys on an episode of Dirty Jobs, but watching hour after hour got old real fast.

I think Mike Rowe has spoiled us to these kinds of “reality” shows. Mike is just so good at making the most mundane, disgusting, gross, and boring jobs entertaining that everything else pails in comparison.

3. morga says:

I’ll agree with both of the above, and add that the characters just aren’t as dynamic, esp. compared tot he Ice Road guys.

4. jeff says:

I have it on Tivo still but I don’t watch it right away when I get home like I do during Ax-Men or IRT seasons. It will sit there until I’m bored on a weeknight.

5. Electron says:

DJFelix, Mike Rowe did spend some time with wine cave diggers: http://tinyurl.com/4kl5j4

I’m betting that episode’s enough for most people to get their fill of tunnel digging reality TV. Frankly, I can’t think of a single “reality show” that I’ve enjoyed enough to watch more than one episode other than American Chopper (although that seems to have tanked).

6. Old Coot says:

What most have said…just doesn’t grab me like some of the other reality shows. But it’s still ten times better than that cr*p on American Chopper.

7. Frank says:

IMO, the first two episodes were GREAT. But now the producers/directors are showcasing the drama, which SUCKS. Show these guys encountering and dealing with problems and be done with it.

I actually like all of the the guys (and of course they’re tough as fecking NAILS) and the fact that they all seem genuine and respectful, but the focus on the drama has caused me to take it off my list of programs to record.

8. I watched about 20 minutes of it and deleted it. Ice Road Truckers first season was great, but this year wasn’t as good. I probably won’t watch next years.

I will watch the next season of Ax Men. But I suspect it will be more of the same.

I do like American’s Toughest Jobs on NBC. That is a pretty cool show.

9. Coach James says:

Last seas on IRT was good. This season with them driving over the ocean seemed much less interesting. American Chopper was good before the family struck gold and seemed to become the “Full of Ourselves” family.