The phone rings while you’re in the shop, but you never know it because you’ve got your earmuffs on, happily working away.  Too bad for you — that was your kid, calling from her cell to tell you she’s locked out of the house in the rain.  If you’d had the Shop Flash hooked up to your shop phone, maybe your daughter wouldn’t be giving you the Look right now.

You plug in the Shop Flash within 14 feet of the nearest phone, because that’s as far as its microphone cord will stretch.  When the phone rings, the microphone picks up the sound and triggers either a flashing light or an audible alarm on the Shop Flash.

We don’t quite understand why they didn’t design this device to plug directly into the phone line.  You wouldn’t need the hokey microphone or any other source of power.  Plus, why is there an audible alarm?  Isn’t the phone already providing that?  If you can overlook these issues, you can buy the Shop Flash for $25 to $30.

Shop Flash [Woodstock International]
Street Pricing
[Google Products]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

11 Responses to Watch The Telephone Ring

1. Bill says:

…or you could just run down to Radio Shack and pick up a visual flasher that plugs into your phone. Should set you back about $20.

2. Garry says:

Ummm….right; what I want is something that will distract me as I take a rip cut on my tablesaw in some nice white oak; that way, I’ll have a real good excuse in the emergency room while I’m waiting to find out if they can re-attach those pesky fingers.

Seriously-are you nuts? I’ve been a woodworker and a machinist for over thirty years, and I have yet to work in a shop that allows a major distraction like a phone anywhere near hazardous operations; that’s simply unsafe and near-criminally irresponsible.

And so is your suggestion that this can be described as a good thing.

If it is that important that you miss no calls, and need to answer them promptly, I have two words.

Voice mail.

3. Dano says:

I think I seen this at Lowes.

4. Dub says:

@Garry: No one said that this is supposed to be used near hazardous operations. Tools can be loud without being as dangerous as, say, a table saw.

5. Blair says:

I had a phone in my old shop for years, never had a safety issue with it. Of course didn’t pay attention to it if doing something like ripping, or routing, but it sure made ordering materials a lot easier than having to go back through the house, bringing whatever sawdust, and debris there was with me. Also I used my bench for planning, and a lot of other things that were no risk should the phone ring.
    Now I don’t use a hard line phone at all, so need for a dedicated line to the shop.

6. Coligny says:

How to stupidly design an usefull product…
    The local sony shop have little lights with cords ending with a double plug.
    The light will always flash with a call, but you plug the phone on either ringing or non ringing plug.

If this kind of light signal distract you dangerously when you are operating dangerous tools. Maybe findind another hobby might be a good idea…

7. fred says:

We have phones throughout our 2 shops – all with the ringers turned off. We let the front office answer calls – and page us – and/or come and find us if its an emergency call. We think this is a fairly safe process.

8. Dan says:

That sure is an interesting assortment of tools on his pegboard!!

9. Coach James says:

“That sure is an interesting assortment of tools on his pegboard!!”

LOL!!!!!!

10. tinbender2 says:

Who uses a hard line phone anymore?

This isn’t a new idea, and it has fallen out of use along with the landline.

All the guys I know, use a cell phone on vibrate in their pants pocket. Works fine, and is not a distraction or safety hazard.