You could describe many of Bridge City Tool Works’ tools as “tool pr0n,” but does their limited-edition multi-square belong in that category?   Certainly — but in addition to being beautiful and expensive, this well-made tool packs a lot of features into its 4.125″ tall, .875″ wide, and .73″ thick body.  After looking at the realistic renderings of the multi-square and reading about it on their site, you’ll feel the need to hold it in your hands.

Bridge City Tool Works mills the multi-square from solid stainless steel to produce an extremely precise and accurate tool. Unfolding the tool reveals three different saddle squares — an 8:1 dovetail, a 6:1 dovetail, and a regular saddle square.  Peering further into the tool, you’ll find the cam-lock sliding T-bevel which can function as a try-square or a double square.  As you slide the multi-square into your breast pocket you’ll notice its integral clip keeps it securely in place.

They claim this commemorative tool will only be made this year, and they’ll set the ship date to be sometime before Thanksgiving so you can get the multi-square in time for the holidays.  Unless you’re a paid member of the Founder’s Circle you’re gonna shell out $290 for this tool pr0n.

CT-15 Multi-Square [Bridge City Tool Works]

8 Responses to Tool Pr0n Preview: Multi-Square

1. Sion says:

Great find, Benjamin. You’re right, this is tool pr0n. It’s expensive but it’s like a swiss army knife for carpenters, which makes it hard to pass up…

2. Kris says:

Simply loverly drool-tool…but if I had that much coin to spend I could find lots of other things more useful…a set of K-clamps…dovetail jig…dedicated mortiser…router lift…lie-neilson plane…

3. Chaim says:

This is frekin’ awesome. If anyone has ever seen anything similar that us plebeians can afford, please post it! Excluding a floor layout square, I’ve never seen ANY kind of folding square…nevermind one with all these features.

Someone making this affordable would make a mint.

4. Lea says:

Doesn’t really seem like it could be a very accurate square with a bearing surface that is less than an inch wide. Very nice looking though.

5. Gary says:

They do make beautiful tools. I’ve got a Starrett double square and picked up a nice sliding bevel from Lee Valley for less than $80 total. You can use a ruler and a piece of paper to make yourself a 8:1, 6:1 or whatever dovetail angle you want, set your sliding bevel for it and your good to go. The double square will let you set a TS blade to 90 and draw 90 degree lines across stock as well.

That is a very attractive tool, I just don’t have the wallet for it.

6. Jim says:

Although, I agree with the physical beauty of many of the Bridge City Tool Work tools, I challenge level of quality, durability and usefulness. I have 30+ Bridge City Tools, including several of the annual Commemorative Series Tools. For example, the adhesive on both the combination square and the two of the awls has failed. The metal of the awl shaft has discolored over time. The brass used on all their tools is very soft and shows visible signs of wear. On registration surfaces, accuracy is impacted. The etching on black anodized tools is grainy, especial markings outside of a horizontal or vertical plane. And, the bevel square does not lock tightly and a light bump can change your locked setting. I know I could list several more design issues, but they would be hard to describe unless you know the specific tools. As a result, I have not bought many Bridge City Tool Works tools lately. There are better options with better value, I do like many of the Lee Valley tools. They are a very good mixed of price, aesthetics, function and durability

7. Allan Brockman says:

I think you have to separate the elements of design, cost and quality. bridge City wins hands down for design and that is where it stops! Cost? That does not even merit discussion. Their tools are vastly overpriced for every day woodworkers. I have always thought that they design their tools for the people who read The Robb Report or GQ – those who want to spend; dsiplay their purchases and let others know how important they are. I expect a number of their tools wind up as dispaly pieces.
    Quality is where they have a real problem. I purchased a Bridge City square, stored it away (several moves and not a lot of woodworking time). When I unpacked it (FROM THE ORIGINAL PACKING), there was a great deal of gray corrosion around the wood. I called bridge City to complain. I was told that I should have said when I bought it that I wanted to store it and they would have told me what to do. How about instructions to accompany this expensive tool stating what happens if you store it? Basically, they said that I should use any kind of metal cleaner and polish and it would be fine. My point is that, in a dry environment, this tool should not corrode in the way it did. It looked as if something had come out from under the wood
    Bottom line comment – ultra expensive; questionable quality; and very crappy customer service! I expect that, with the economy heading south, they will have to rethink their business model. Bernard madoff is not around any more.

8. George B says:

Yes, I too have the dreaded gray corrosion forming on my Center Scribe. THis is not the normal brass/copper green vertigris type corrosion that comes off with brasso or other metal polish – this stuff is gray – probably from high zinc content.

I was also quite peeved to find that the “Juara Wood” used in earlier Bridge City Tools is not some exotic species, but resin impregnated maple or beech!

Ha ha! The joke is on me, but not never again!