hot-or-not4.jpg

Bring up the loaded topic of modular design storage and you might start a brawl — on one side are the staunch build-it-yourselfers, and on the other are people who have better things to do than build storage that’s just going to sit around and collect junk and dust.  Sears’ line of modular garage storage splits the middle somewhat.

The Sears lineup features cabinets, drawers, shelves, bench-tops, and racks that let you design your shop around your tools and the space you’re going to put them in.  They feature steel construction and ball bearing sliding drawers, and they come in black for that “touch of badass” feel. They also come with a whopping price tag that can run in excess of a grand if you get carried away.

The perfect solution might be a mix of home-built and store-bought, but you could certainly go one way or the other and still get your shop work under control.  What do you think?  Is store-bought storage too handy to pass up, or is the expense just too high to consider it an option?  Let us know in comments.

Modular Garage Storage [Sears]

9 Responses to Hot or Not? Sears Modular Garage Storage

1. jeff says:

For me, half the fun is building my own. I love having my own handiwork involved in the shop where I practice handiwork on other projects.

2. Jim K. says:

Granted, I’m not the most organized toolmonger out there, but I never really could justify the price for most of these systems. Peg board for hanging up some hand tools, a job box for my expensive bits and bobs, a few recycled kitchen cabinets for paints and stains, some shelving with plastic bins for hardware and misc., and a home built lumber rack suits me fine.

3. Kurt says:

If I had cash and space, I’d probably like to go with a storage system of some type. As it stands, I’m slowly growing my tool set and shop space so it’s somewhat moot. I’ll let you know something different on Saturday if I win Powerball.

4. Bill says:

Well, I can’t speak to the Sears units, but I can attest that I have spent way too much time recycling other stuff (examples: old kitchen steel sink cabinet and a washing machine cabinet) into shop fixtures that I could have easily bought something better. You have to realistically factor in the time it takes to make something, although granted, sometimes the “making” is the entertainment in and of itself!

5. Wayne D. says:

I was just at Sears to look at these, and I have to say that Craftsman quality has gone way down in recent years. This stuff would be good for the casual shop, but if you are actually going to use it heavily, make your own. You can usually find recovered kitchen cabinets at Habitat for Humanity’s ReStore, or find your own local excess inventory store. Couple that with a pre-made counter top from Home Depot or Lowes, or even Ikea (they have premade 1″ oak counters in 4′, 6′, and 8′), and you have a good looking shop for less than this stuff.

6. Bart'sDad says:

These would add some nice bling to the old “Man Cave “,but I don’t see them in the shop.

7. Dave says:

What interests me in that photo is the epoxy-coated floor…anybody have experience with these materials?

8. Bandit Gordon says:

Pretty workshops are for guys that don’t use them, or wouldn’t know how if they had to.

My workshop is a mixture of industrial tool boxes and carts that I’ve picked up surplus, or at auctions… or when they were on sale, as I needed and of course, could afford them. They may not color coordinate, and they may not necessarily be pretty…. but you know what? That’s okay. They get the job done, they hold up, and I’m not afraid to get them a little bit messy…

Those pictures bring to mind images of Felix Ungar frantically running around in the midst of a panic attack when those things get the slightest bit of overspray, or body dust on them, or oil, or any of the million little messes that happen when you use a workshop.

9. Jared Newman says:

The amount of tools used by the majority of “toolmongers,” like myself, will fit in one modular upright combo of 3 tool boxes. I have seen very few cabinets that are being used in an efficient way. When we open doors we find a jumbled mixture: car maintenance chemicals/supplies – plumbing supplies – yard chemicals – electrical supplies – car detail chemicals – sprinkler system parts, etc… What I have done with my small individual items like these is to sort and consolidate them. I bought containers of an appropriate size to store them. Rather than put these containers in cabinets that take up valuable floor space, I have wall shelves that are out of the way to store these containers. I have so much room in my garage and I can easily find things when I look for them.