Alltrade makes their jam nut valve-adjusting tool to deal with engine valve jam nuts, but you can also put it to work on jam nuts in non-automotive applications such as X-Y tables.  Their jam nut tool solves the common problem of how to tighten a jam nut on a slotted stud without turning the stud.

Some other jam nut tightening solutions use multiple tools, but Alltrade wraps a nut driver with a 7-1/2″ pivoting handle around a slotted screwdriver to create an all-in-one tool.  They also thoughtfully cut a window into the nut driver so you can see if the screwdriver blade engages the slotted stud.

Alltrade manufactures two version of the jam nut tool, one for 10mm jam nuts and another for 12mm nuts.  For a simple tool that lists for over $30, you’d think you were buying from Snap-on, but you can find these jam nut tools for about $13 if you look around.

Jam Nut Tool [Alltrade]
Street Pricing
[Google Products]
10mm Tool Via Amazon [What’s This?]
12mm Tool Via Amazon [What’s This?]

8 Responses to Jam Nut Valve-Adjusting Tool

1. Tony Clifton says:

heh heh

“jam nut”

2. KMR says:

OK, that is a tool I immediately see making my life easier!

3. Clark F says:

To be fair, I’ve never used one of these tools, but the screwdriver/box end wrench combo I use right now works just fine. Not sure if Id spend my money on this.

4. kif says:

There are a lot of those solid lifter Hondas out there with the 15,000 mile valve adjustment interval. I don’t remember the jam nut size, but I’m 90% sure it was 10 or 12. I would have to see what the clearance is on my flat 4 Volkswagen to see if it’s a tool I could use.

5. KMR says:

Yah, this looks like it is only for metric motors… not going towork for me, I’ll have to make one instead.

6. Kris says:

Wish I’d had this when I was adjusting the valves on my old air-cooled VW every month or so…….

7. BC says:

Comments about using it for air-cooled VWs are right on… I may have to scrounge for one of these — my ’67 Karmann Ghia has a bit of tappet rattle!

8. Keith says:

I used to use a screw driver and 10 mm box end wrench on my single
    overhead cam Hondas for setting the valve clearance; the
    wrench/screwdriver always served well.

But then I got a Honda with a dual overhead cam VTEC motor. On the VTEC
    dual cam motor, there is insufficient clearance around the tappets for a
    standard box wrench.

The Alltrade 10 mm jam nut wrench, with it’s deeper reach, was just the
    ticket. I bought one of these late last year from Amazon, and I wouldn’t try
    set valve clearance on a VTEC motor without it.

Oh, and you can get these for less $$ than the Snap-On version (http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=&tool=&item_ID=11707&group_ID=1571&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog ).

The Alltrade and Snap-On are one piece tools, unlike the genuine Honda tool
    which comes as two separate pieces (easy to misplace half).