To get started with air tools you don’t need to indulge in a momentous spending spree. If you’re just looking to get into some finish and trim work, Campbell Hausfeld’s bonus kit combo provides a cheap way to go.

At the core of the package are a two-gallon twin-stack air compressor and a 2-in-1 nailer/stapler that’ll handle up to 500 brads or staples in a few 18-gauge sizes. The kit also includes a 25-foot hose and all the assorted accessories that’ll get you going right out of the box.  Just charge up the tanks, load the fasteners, and you’re good to go.

It’s a good deal for an all-in-one package, and it helps the true beginner out by supplying all the right gear you may not have known you needed.

Air Tool Bonus Kit Combo [Campbell Hausfeld]
Street Pricing [Google Products]
Via Amazon [What’s This?]

9 Responses to Cheap-Ass Tools: Twin-Stack Compressor And Nailer Kit

1. Ry says:

I actually have this set in red (so probably last year’s model), I picked it up for like $75 at home depot about 6 months back. Only complaints, the nailer’s a bit of a pain when it gets a jam which has happened about 5 times in 1000 nails.

It was cheaper than any of the other small compressors, and came with a free nail-gun so I figured what the heck.

It’s gotten me through a few small projects now, and I just picked up a Dewalt 15ga nailer to do some flooring with it. The compressor sure ain’t fast or quiet, but it gets the job done. You’re certainly not going to be using an air-sander or anything with the CFM you can get out of it, but it’s great for light nailing jobs. I think flooring will probably stress its output a bit, but I’ll go slow and it should be fine.

2. Zathrus says:

If you’ve got a bit more cash to spare, I’d recommend the Bostitch CPACK3 refurb ($185) or maybe even the Porter-Cable refurb ($230). They come with much better compressors (6 gallon, 135/150 psi max, 3.4/3.5 @40psi, 2.1/2.6 CFM at 90 psi vs 2 gallon, 100 psi max, and 0.51 @40, 0.39 @90) and 3 guns (16 ga finish, 18 ga brad, and staple) instead of just 1 dual purpose gun. Warranty is the same for the refurb kits (1 yr) as for this.

Oh, and these don’t come with the $10 accessory kit, but they do have a “carrying bag”, a lot more nails/staples, and a 40′ hose instead of 25′ one.

Honestly, I think the Bostitch is probably the best for the money.

3. jeff says:

I’m actually waiting on my Bostitch CPACK3 (refurb) to arrive. I looked at the Campbell and the Porter-Cable and decided the Bostitch was the best bang for the buck.

4. Blair says:

I picked up a Craftsman three gun set last winter for a job I was on, a bit pricier even on sale, but came with magnesium guns, and the light weight really makes a difference.

5. Blair says:

I should have mentioned that it also came with a 4 gal, 150 psi compressor, and all the other accessories, including 40′ of air hose.

Along with my older 20 gal oiled unit for the shop, if fits right in for those “portable” times

6. SuperJdynamite says:

I have the Porter Cable compressor/three gun combo. It’s a solid set of tools.

I also recently fell prey to the lure of a cheap Harbor Freight 23 gauge pin nailer. In comparison to the Porter Cable guns it’s a total POS. When I took it out of the box I had to force open the nail magazine, forcibly adjust the nail length slider, and when I finally was ready for a test run it jammed several times. Only when I dumped plenty of oil down the air inlet it settled down.

7. fred says:

Re SuperJdynamite Says:

“I think I’m going to spend the money and buy the Porter Cable pin nailer and put the Harbor Freight nailer on CraigsList.”

From our experience with about a dozen pin nailers – I’d recommend a GREX.

8. mack says:

Beware the combo stapler/nailer for finish work, like baseboards… the striker for the staples will not only counter-sink the nail, but the full width of the staple head.

I bought a used Senco finish nailer to resolve this, but then found the compressor wasn’t up to delivering a full 90psi to the nailer, leaving me with inconsistent mis-feeding, and generally headaches of all types.

Great idea, but be wary if you’re expecting to use it for more than “rough” woodworking, or airing tires. In hindsight, I’d have spent the extra $$ on a better compressor, that keeps a minimum ~100psi (instead of ~80psi).

9. steve says:

I’ve been pretty disappointed with my Campbell and Hausfeld compressor.

The entire thing was just completely covered in oil for some reason. Right down to huge deposits of clothes-staining pools of it behind the stickers.

Then it is the loudest compressor I have ever seen. The neighbors must think I’m starting up a helicopter in my garage.

I spent $200 on the stupid thing. Then since that, I’ve been seeing these nice quiet models from other companies for like $150.

So disappointing…