Fans of the over-the-top “working man” shows like Ice Road Truckers and Ax Men might have another one coming.  History Channel’s Sandhogs covers New York City’s subterranean workers — these guys build the stuff that everyone takes for granted as a given fact of life.

The show premieres in September, and from what we’ve seen the “Hogs” look like a great addition to the hardy lineup we’ve come to love.  Not a great deal is known about these workers’ lives, because they do their jobs in places you’d rather not go.

We hope they won’t edit in too much hammy drama, but we’ll take what we can get.  As long as the work involves sweet heavy equipment — and no Teutuls are involved — we should be ok.

Sandhogs [History Channel]

7 Responses to History Channel’s Sandhogs Are Coming

1. techieman33 says:

Is anybody else getting tired of these shows? At first they were about the job they were doing. But now they’re all just the same soap opera with a different setting.

2. PutnamEco says:

Re:
    techieman33 Says:

—-
    I’m looking forward to Cubicle Farm, The life and times of the data entry clerk.
    Burger Time, the day to day of short order cooks at McDonalds.
    And Ka-Ching, The exiting world of cashiers in big box retail.

3. Dano says:

Yeah, when I get home from working each day, I like to turn to the tv and watch others work. /joking

What we need are detective shows. There isn’t any of this on tv.

4. Tony says:

Didn’t the History Channel show history shows? Granted I only see it on the weekends, but all I ever see on there is things like Ice Road Truckers, Mega Disasters, and Modern Marvels.

5. Hank says:

History Channel found that a lot of folks groan when something historical is on TV. Ratings were dropping so they went with the “reality” TV mind-set.

I join with all the comments that enough is enough. I assume all folks work hard whatever they do, and some folk have (at least to me) very different jobs, but I don’t it’s as dramatic as the shows seem to portray.

6. Zathrus says:

Well, around my house the History channel became known as the “Hitler channel” since they seemed to be perpetually showing WW2-oriented shows. There’s a lot of other eras they could show, it’s just that they can pad WW2 shows with “vintage footage”.

But yeah, they don’t bear much relation to their nom de plume now, at least not with a lot of their new shows.

Anyway, I can’t say I’m particularly interested in this one either. Or the NBC reality TV spinoff from the guy who did Ice Road Truckers/Dangerous Catch.

7. ExtremeFramer says:

Nope. Bring ’em on. I love these shows. There’s just enough off-site drama to peek into the subjects personal lives without focusing on that aspect. Soap opera? Perhaps, but with real people doing real jobs.