This has to be a mistake, so don’t blame me if the price isn’t honored: Buy.com is listing this Bosch Silver and Deming 8-pc. drill bit set (BL0008) for only $23 with shipping. The next lowest price on these is $67, so it’s either a misprint or a smoking deal!

[Buy.com]
Street Pricing [Google Products]
Via Amazon [What’s This?] [What’s This?]

10 Responses to Dealmonger: 8-Pc. Bosch Silver And Deming Drill Bit Set $23

1. Old Coot says:

I just submitted an order at total price of $24.57 (which includes California sales tax of $1.66). Wish me luck.

2. Old Coot says:

PS: Thanks for the tip!

3. Eli-0 says:

I just ordered mine, and then received the cancellation from Buy.com about 20 minutes later… Too good to be true, oh well!.

4. Old Coot says:

Just received the following words from Buy.com:

“Thanks for buying from Buy.com. We have received your Buy.com Marketplace order and we are contacting the seller to confirm your order. Sellers have 2 business days to confirm their orders. Your credit cardwill not be charged until the order has been confirmed. You should receive an order confirmation email within two business days.”

Guessing that I’ll soon get the same message that Eli-0 received, but who knows.

5. Chaim says:

I tried this about a month ago, got a cancellation after a few days…it’s a bad listing, sorry! For about $30 you can get a no-name brand set off of ebay or HF has a 13 piece set (also a no-name) for $40. How different could these other options be from Bosch? I doubt much.

6. Old Coot says:

Order canceled. Bummer.

7. Sunil Mehta says:

Buy.com has pulled these scams for years. The first time I remember them pulling it was in 1996 when they said they were selling 19″ monitors for $150. Well they didn’t. First said it was a mistake. Then it came out they were doing it to collect emails. Got sued. I got $100 check (had ordered 2).

8. tooldork says:

Chaim,

You’re right….there really isn’t a difference between any of the products we buy, its just that those brand names charge way more than then no-names.

I’m sure they all use the same quality materials with the same design and perform identically. /sarcasm

Sigh, I do understand the difference between occasional use versus must-have (read Fred) and pocket book economics, but I find it very hard to believe that companies will/can/do charge more than 2x what these no-names charge and still move inventory.

They move inventory because who demand quality results are willing to pay a premium because they are made of higher quality materials.

I have my fair share of “cheap” accessories, but I’m just about finished making this type of purchase. I’d rather buy it once and use it multiple times and hopefully, not have to purchase again.

9. dweider says:

no longer available 🙁

10. fred says:

Without getting into the debate about buying cheap junk versus high quality tooling, ther is another issue with SD Drill sets. They provide sizes that you probably don’t need and don’t have sizes corresponding to some standard tap drill sizes.
    The 9/16 size is OK for 5/8-18 taps.
    11/16 for 3/4-16 taps.

But if you plan to use 5/8-11 – you need a 17/32
    3/4-10 – uses a 41/64
    7/8-9 wants a 49/64
    7/8-14 – a 51/64

etc.

Our big old drill press chucks Morse Taper drills – so we don’t use SD’s – but most of our larger drill bits have been purchased to fit with taps or to drill specfic clearance holes. Experience says that you should buy the bits as you need them – not speculate and buy a set only to find its missing the exact size that you need.